CV boot

gp90se

Guest TurboSedan

i just did an inner CV boot a few weeks ago when i swapped one of my hubs. i accidentally pulled the boot right off the CV joint's inner housing with my slide hammer while trying to pull the axle out :evil: thankfully the needle bearings stayed in place! if possible try to seperate the CV joint after you pull the axle out (doh!) had i lost any of the needle bearings i would have said fuck it and went and bought a new axle instead. it was probably a good thing i replaced the boot anyway; there wasn't much grease left and it didn't look very good anyway.

anyways, i ended up smacking the rear side of the joint with a 1/2" extention and a hammer, it came out of the intermediate shaft really easy that way. i don't think i'll ever use my slide hammer to pull an axle again.

i packed the new boot with new grease and wiped the old grease off of the tripot with a clean rag, then smothered it with new grease too. i bought a new CV boot clamp from Checker. it is a cheapo clamp - you don't even need a CV boot clamp pliers to install/tighten it. it seems to be holding up ok thankfully. i tightened mine with a vice-grips, a flat blade screwdriver and a hammer (you'll see what i'm talking about if you get that particular type of clamp).

hth!

thankfully the needle bearings stayed in place! if possible try to seperate the CV joint after you pull the axle out (doh!) had i lost any of the needle bearings i would have said fuck it

Whoops, i did that to the other side axle, no easy way 2 get them fuckers back in, is there?

seems easy enough, didnt wanna smack the joint and break anything.

-Jeff

Guest TurboSedan
thankfully the needle bearings stayed in place! if possible try to seperate the CV joint after you pull the axle out (doh!) had i lost any of the needle bearings i would have said fuck it

Whoops, i did that to the other side axle, no easy way 2 get them fuckers back in, is there?

seems easy enough, didnt wanna smack the joint and break anything.

-Jeff

nah, it'll come out easy enough so that you don't have to smack it too hard. i'm really not sure how to re-install those needle bearings, i've never done that. hopefully someone else here can chime in about that cuz i'd like to know to.