Recharging A/C

gimp19

I got my A/C converted to 134a 2 years ago it worked for a year, now it needs a charge. I bought one of those kits with a can, hose and gauge. Problem is it barley takes any "freon" to get the gauge reading fully charged, the reason for that is I cant get the compressor to kick on and the instructions say it must be running to charge. Is there any way to jump it?

I've heard if the charge gets to low the compressor wont run :confused:

That is correct, if the static pressure is below 35 psi (I think that is the pressure), then the compressor will not kick on. Easiest way to force the compressor to run is to remove the relay and short the power leads with a 10 or 12 gauge wire. If the compressor starts knocking or grinding, stop everything and take it to a shop, compressors are expensive when compared to a couple ounces of POE oil.

If you look at the side of the relay, there is a small diagram. There should be 85, 86 87, 87A, and 30. If you short, 87 and 30, that should force the compressor clutch to engage OR attach a small wire to 86, on the relay, and then ground the other end of that wire. That will force the relay to close, engaging the clutch.