93CutlassSupreme

What brake pad brand should i use?  

1. 1. What brake pad brand should i use?

• Raybestos
    • Bendix
    • AC Delco oem replacements from dealer

saturday, i will be replacing my brakes for the 3rd time in a year, because my car once again shakes all over the road when i hit the brakes.

just wondering if any of you guys have any experience with any of these brake pads. post feedback! i won't use bosch brakes, i am using them right now and they were one of the biggest wastes of money i have ever spent, nor will i use $8 cheap shit. suggest a brand if i didn't post it, but i can't order anything from the internet, because i don't have a credit card. they have to be avaiable at local auto parts stores.

I've had the ac delco pads on mine since i've owned my car. That was 3 years ago and they are still good. Rotors suck but those pads have lasted me quite a while.

I just use NAPA stuff.

Though...sure its not the rotors? My rear woudl shake like a 600lb gal trying to dance when i hit the brake. The rotors were quite warped when we removed them, along with being quite a bit to small under recomended (IIRC...the rear pass one was the worse, and actually the origninal one from Olds!)

jon

I just use NAPA stuff.

Though...sure its not the rotors? My rear woudl shake like a 600lb gal trying to dance when i hit the brake. The rotors were quite warped when we removed them, along with being quite a bit to small under recomended (IIRC...the rear pass one was the worse, and actually the origninal one from Olds!)

jon

i know its the rotors, but if i'm gonna change out rotors i figure i might as well slap on some better pads that won't warp rotors in 3 months like my bosch ceramic pads have done, and i don't drive and stop like i'm racing

ahh...ok, didnt read that. Sorry. If it helps, i was planning on raybestos for my car and out Durango when i just did the brakes on the CS.

jon

i'm considering raybestos, but my cousin had bendix pads on his Fiero and spoke really highly of them, so i'm not sure what to go with

Bendex TitanuMetalic Pads

Awesome...... :D

im on my second set with sloted durastop rotors

they last a long time and im 110% confident in them.....

Advance Auto is where i got them

do they vibrate or warp the shit out of the rotors? i don't give a shit about brake dust, my bosch ceramics were supposted to be 'low dust' and my front wheels are covered in brake dust

i plan on turning my rotors, because they're less than 6 months old, and have a lifetime warranty, do turned rotors warp sooner than new ones, because they have metal removed?

thanks for the review davis

I heard somewhere that its not really a good idea to turn the rotors. (maybe once) They are pretty thin and can warp faster.

i've heard that too, so that's why i'm wondering

in addition to the poll, anyone have experience with turned rotors? do they warp easier than new rotors?

Rotors are avaliable very cheap these days so many places don't turn them anymore if you ask them.......

and because there cheap turning them usually makes them prone to damage and warping....

thats what my mechanic told me

i spent $35 a piece on rotors, i don't have the money to do spend that again, are those cheapo rotors any good?

... I'd like to say Other on that vote, as I run the carbon metalic brake pads and I think they are awesome, a bit expensive, but they have a lifetime warranty, and they are VERY quiet.

--Dave

... I'd like to say Other on that vote, as I run the carbon metalic brake pads and I think they are awesome, a bit expensive, but they have a lifetime warranty, and they are VERY quiet.

--Dave

what brand? many different companies carry carbon metallic pads

thanks for the feedback

should be autozone part#'s 3764 for the Front PFC Carbon Metalic pads and 3774 for the Rear PFC Carbom Mecalic pads

I checked all three engine options they had for the 93 cutlass supreme's

--Dave

turned rotors are ok if they are still within specs. If they are warped though, just may want new ones.

I have cheapo rotors, no problems yet.

jon

I'd go ahead and get your rotors turned.. it doesn't cost much so you can't lose.

I don't know what kinda pad is best, I've had the same pads on my car the last 4 years and they are fine, although I think my rotors are warped (probably due to other factors). Extreme heat can cause rotors to warp, such as very hard breaking at high speeds for a long period. It is also important to bed in your new pads so that they break in properly.

Here is an article on how to bed in pads and rotors:

http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm

I can give you my two cents. I've used a few different varieties of Raybestos. I like the PG plus the best. I put the ceramic Quietstops on my wife's Lumina last summer and they've lasted this long, but I don't like how the car stops. I think the ceramic pads are harder and don't bite as good as organic pads do. I tried the Brutestops on my old LeSabre. Pads were very noisy and very dusty. Other than that, they stopped that huge monster of a car very well. The PG pluses are a good compromise. They stop the car well, very low dust, and no noise. They wear out a lot quicker, though but they don't cost very much either. Raybestos pads have a lifetime warranty against breakage, so if the friction material breaks off, you can take them back for a new set. I've never had that happen and I've been using Raybestos for at least 6 years. BTW, there is no difference between the $15 rotors and the $45 rotors. Get the cheap ones, and if they wear out quicker, so what they were only $15. I never bother to turn my rotors either... O.K. so this ended up being $.50 of advice :lol: .

Guest TurboSedan

i used Raybestos PG Plus pads when i did my rear '94+ rear brake upgrade. so far i like them, and they were only about $20-something for a set. i haven't noticed any noise or brake dust and they seem to be wearing very well. the car stops great, but i'm getting alot of pulsation from the front brakes :? so i'll take care of them next. btw, i also used cheapo $22 rotors from Advance and so far so good.

i got AC Delco oem pads, i got a deal on them through my place of employment. i figure they're softer than aftermarket pads, because brake pads on a new car are nice and soft, stop good, but don't last very long.

my bosch rotors have a 5 year warranty, one of the guys at murrays said that they'll give me new rotors, another guy said the warranty doesn't cover warpage, so i'll see what happens saturday when i try to return them, if they don't take them i'll tell them to stick it and get some cheap ones from pep boys pep boys has the caliper tool too, i'll rent that, none of the other places around here know what the hell i'm talking about when i ask for it

thanks for the opinions guys