Cold air and turbos pt 2

samiamryan

For some reason i couldnt reply before so im starting a new thred. I had the car running maybe 5 min. See i had a power steering pump leaking so i didnt want it to run too long. If I had a bad fuel filter (it probably was never changed, it was owned by a high school girl) would that have robbed me of power. Also how would I know if the crossover pipes were bad, any symtoms? Im going to get the car tuned up a bit when I take it in, any idea how much the crossover pipes cost and are they difficult to do (im not a mechanic, but i know my way around under a hood) or is it something a mech. should do. Any other ideas why I would be robbed of power??

Guest Anonymous

The fuel filter could very well be plugging up and that would rob power due to less gas getting through.

You can look at your crossover and if it has heatshields on it, it is probably original. See if you can hear an exhaust leak or smeel exhaust under the hood. It is more than likely cracked if it's the original. That is one of the biggest problems with these cars.

I can agree on the filter thing cause one of the stangs I had with the turbo would run fine til I kicked it in the ass then it would lose power...changed the fuel filter then it was ok.

Cold air should ALWAYS be better for turbo motors...I remember when me and my buddy were running his turbo trans am at the track, he made a few passes and the best he could hit was a 13.2....and then we bought a 50 pound bag of ice and without about 15 ziplock bags we cooled down all the charge piping and intercooler, and he ran a 12.9!!!! :shock:

Normally aspirated, Turbo-charged, or Super-charged...cold ambient air is always the best for performance.

Cold and dry air is the most dense = most power...

Hot dry or Hot wet air is thinner = Less power 8)

How much is a crank position sensor and is that a big project to replace? Ill take a look at the crossovers this weekend (cars in storage). Were do I look and how much are these to replace? I check up on the car and get the gas filter replace and let you guys know whats up. Thanks a ton for all the help.

Guest Anonymous

Crank position sensor

http://www.partsamerica.com/PartDetails.asp?SourceArea=SHOP&SourcePage=SEARCHRESULTS&MfrCode=NIE&MfrPartNumber=DR1404&PartType=762&PTSet=A

It is located on the back of the block, (firewall side) about half way down, passenger side of center. Be careful taking it out. They are know to break off if you're not careful. Years of heat makes them brittle.

The crossover is what the turbo is mounted to. Jeff M. on the board sells replacement ones. I'm not sure on the current price. There is a $100 core charge also. You get that back when you send yours back to him.

when you first start the car, or any computer controlled car, the computer runs in openloop mode until the car is warm. openloop wont let it do any fuel enrichment or full boost until the engine reaches a certian temp. well i think thats how it works, for the most part. somone correct me if i am wrong. i have been reading alot on chip tuning and whatnot. lots of info to take in.

so, i would have to agree with these guys, you either didn't let it warm up right, and/or bad fuel filter, and/or crossover or more than likely, with 140xxx, all of the above.