Does a cold night effect the turbo??

samiamryan

Last Saturda I raced my Grand Prix Turbo on a dirt track 1/2 mile. Its like a drag race, one lap and it was freakin freezing out. Anout 35 degrees.(wisconsin) Well long story short, the car had absoululy no take off. I beat a 92 Blazer 4x4 pretty easly but a old oldsmobile v6 beat me off the line and i couldnt catch him in the back strecht. I didnt get a chance to let the car warm up cause my power stearing was leaking badly and i didnt want to lose all my fluid before the race. Was I robbed off power due to the cold or is my car a hunk of crap. I do need to put in a new fuel filter. Please help.

Did the fact that the car was only idleing for 5 minutes effect that. Like the motor wasnt hot enough. If its not a fuel filter what else do you suggest. Keep in mind, my tgp is on its last leg. 140,000 miles. She's rough.

Guest Anonymous

Idling for 5 minutes wouldn't be a problem. Like I said, the colder the air the better and if the motor isn't warmed up completely the air going into the motor won't heat up from the engine heat.

Do you have the stock crossover? If so, that would be a good place to start.

How long was the car running when this happened? Your car should not get full boost until the engine is warmed up to something like 140 degrees (not sure exactly what it is, but I know its over 100). It also, for some reason, won't get full boost for like 30-60 seconds after you start it up no matter how warm it is. I believe this is to save the engine/turbo. So, if the engine wasn't warmed up, thats your problem right there.

But in most normal conditions, colder air should make the car quicker. I can tell a huge difference between 30 & 60 degrees in mine...its definately noticable.

Shawn

I'm suprised nobody here grilled' you for racing your Turbo Prix' on a "dirt track." :shock: Got any pictures of your "rough" looking TGP? :wink:

No grilling yet but a ton of compements and onlookers. Nobody there had ever heard of a TGP. No pics yet but i will post asap.