I have cold A/C again!!!!

jeremy

I turned on the A/C for the first time last week and it blew out warm air and I certainly can't live with that, it was ice cold last year so I don't know what happended....

....well after about 10 minutes and about $16 (full recharge kit w/guage and hose was on sale) my A/C is ice cold again.....

*pats himself on the back*

We sell it at work.. a 30lb keg of it goes for about 650 bucks. And theres a lot of paperwork with it, you gotta be licensed and certified to handle it.. blah blah

an ac topic always shows up at about this time of year... my car uses R12, and i use something called Freeze 12, it can be mixed with existing R12 (of course they have to say not to do it) and is 100% compatible with the old compressor oil. i got the entire kit with 3 12oz cans off ebay for 60 bucks. Works great

Yeah use one of these.

http://www.freeze-12.com

http://www.duracoolusa.com

http://www.redtekproducts.com

Get your EPA Section 609 MVAC Certification so you can purchase R-12 or similar that requires a license at http://www.epatest.com/e_609cert.html

Cost is around $20 or so and you take it online. It is based on honest system type exam. Once you pass you can purchased R-12 or similar refrigerant system.

i tend to stay awa from the a/c

my car eats gas like a mofo already. so theres no point in my wasteing more gas just for a little cold air

id rather roll the winders down

Y'know, AC is nice and all, but there's nothing that can beat cruising around the city/countryside with your windows down and the air blowing through the car, music cranked so people three cars back can hear it, singing at the top of your lungs to your favorite song, one hand on the wheel, at about ten miles over the speed limit.

Fuck AC, I like R.A. - REAL AIR.

freon doesn't break down in the system. I normally leaks at one of the parts, my buddy was telling me. It is like 100 bucks just for the part then you gotta find someone who know what they are doing to put it in. I got a guy who does heating and cooling.

actually...from what i read....anything over 45MPH, and you have more drag than power loss you would have using the AC.

So...for example....arroudn town windows down, intertstate AC. I personlly like windows down too.

jon

my a/c problem is a bit more complicated....my damn a/c compressor is shot! That will cost me a bunch if I take it to a garage :roll:

Fix it yourself. The tools you get for fixing your own A/C offset the cost of repair shop. Typically it will cost you close to $1000 from those A/C repair shop.

It's not difficult to replace the compressor, accumulator, evaporator, condenser, etc., but they are time consuming.

I've fix my our A/C system. I've replaced the A/C compressor, accumulator and got the tools vacuum pump, a/c gauge, leak detector kit (uv type), flush canister and flush solution, etc.

why did you have to recharge your AC? It leaked out. You'll be recharging in 2 or 3 months.

even if that is the case, I am willing to recharge it every few months for $10 just to have cold air for a while.....

The Air Resistance from rooling the windows down about equals the drag from using the AC.

yeah, ok...

Y'know, AC is nice and all, but there's nothing that can beat cruising around the city/countryside with your windows down and the air blowing through the car, music cranked so people three cars back can hear it, singing at the top of your lungs to your favorite song, one hand on the wheel, at about ten miles over the speed limit.

high five!!! nothing else like it! :cheers:

The Air Resistance from rooling the windows down about equals the drag from using the AC.

yeah, ok...

high five!!! nothing else like it! :cheers:

....I will admit that I have only turned on the A/C in my Spyder a couple of times a year....the top is down 95% of the warm day..........but in my cutty, I need the A/C, I can't imagine sitting in traffic on the hot black leather in 90 degree heat with the windows rolled down on my way home from work......

My 93 gp had been converted to fr12 (same as freeze 12 I guess )with a new compressor, it has a sticker etc under the hood. I read somewhere the pressure should be lower than what it is run stock, anyone know about this? It cools ok, takes a little while to work well. I guess after a couple years its time to service again, so I should have this pressure thing checked. I remember reading that it would make a big dif on cooling. Anyone know about this, or what years it applies to?

If yours is leaking, does the freeze12 stop leak work?

RW