Is there an ABS reset procedure???

whiteSE

Well, it isn't my GP but I was doing a brake job on my folks Lumina.......APV minivan(kind of a W-body relative!) and the brakes were warped pretty badly, there were chinks out of the braking surface of the rotor. New pads and rotors on and then test drive.

NOW:

Typically with ABS when you first move the vehicle the ABS will cycle to test itself (pedal kind of drops and pulses a bit). The problem I am experiencing now is that when you brake coming to a stop, the ABS cycles again and makes the van roll another half foot or so.

The pedal feel is similar to how it would feel if you were stopping in a situation that the ABS would normally activate (pedal pulses, pushes back against your foot and then releases).

Now because the van was driven for so long with the badly warped brakes always pulsing badly with every stop I am thinking that the sensors are messed up or something. Is there a procedure that allows you to clear the computer and reset the ABS??

There are no warning indicators showing and this was not an issue prior to the brakes being warped so badly.

Any help will be great - this is a huge annoyance to me.

Thanks. Phil.

If there was some kind of reset thing I'd try pulling the ABS fuse for a bit. Though driving around with rotors that had pieces missing couldn't have been good for the rest of the system.. I'd take it to get diagnosed somewhere if it keeps doin it.

Just physically look at each wheel speed sensors to make sure they have no crack or broken part. Nuts and bolts to the wheel speed sensor is tight.

Check the slotted ring around the wheel where the wheel speed sensor monitors to make sure it is not missing any teeth.