Dyed my dashpad

slick

So, i dyed my upper dashpad. Not hard at all. I didn't like the vinyling that I had done, so i knew that this would look much better. So now i eed to know how to take out the rest of the dash to dye that. I can get a picture posted of what im talking about if your not sure what I mean.373899_47.jpg

It was more of a spray on dye than anything. It was made specifically for vinyl, cloth, etc. I picked it up at Wal-Mart. Basically, i just sprayed it on, let it get tacky, and sprayed on another coat. I put on about 4-5 coats, and i clear coated it too.

So its a vinyl spraypaint in the spraypaint isle? Hmm. I'll keep that in mind if I want to do my console. I like the vinyl on my dashpad cause its covering up the cracks, and I don't feel like buying a new one. If I DO get one somewhere, I'll use the dye cause vinyl is friggen hard to work with.

Yeah, vinyl is hard to work with. I actually picked up another dashpad and dyed it since my car is still at the shop. Im gonna strip the vinyl and glue off that dash pad, dye it, and sell it.

My main problem with the vinyl was it wasn't wanting to stick. I used glue that the fabric shop recommended, but it didn't work too awful well.

I found this dye in the automotive spray paint section. It's by all the engine, brake caliper, and plastic automotive spray paints. I'm pretty happy with the results myself.

I used contact cement and it seems to be holding. I think it will be fine for the dashpad, as long as its not pulled on. The armrests on my door on the other hand, I'm a little worried about them :? . Spent almost $20 for stupid vinyl and glue.. I'm gonna kick myself if I find out that vinyl paint looks and holds better! :x

Yeah, i know, i spent $20 on paint and glue too. But, I had a lot of left over vinyl, which i will use on the interior panels that have cloth(im gonna pull the door panels out, pull the cloth out, and put the black vinyl there, along with the rear interior panels).

If I had more money to blow on my car I'd do that too. I just used regular spraypaint on my door panels to make it match the rest of the interior. It looks kinda crappy and if you touch it excessively it rubs off a little :lol: At least it doesn't look as bad as the dirty stained light grey :puke:

Yeah, i wasn't digging the light grey in my car either. You say your paint rubs off? I've never had the problem of spray paint rubbing off. I can give you pointers/tips/how i paint my stuff.

Yeah, i wasn't digging the light grey in my car either. You say your paint rubs off? I've never had the problem of spray paint rubbing off. I can give you pointers/tips/how i paint my stuff.

I painted the cloth... (top part) with regular spraypaint. I just wanted to change the color. The rest of the door turnout out good except that I got glue on the rest of the red painted plastic which fucked it up. Also you can see by the vinyl that the masking tape I had used earlier took off some of the red paint. (Bottem line you can't paint cloth with regular spray paint.. duh! :lol: )

Also, what would be good to use on the seatbelt to make it black?

205d0045.jpg

I think the original owner of my car would freak out.. It used to be light grey exterior/interior. :lol:

Yeah, unless you pick up cloth/vinyl specific paint, it doesn't work too well. For the seatbelt, i'd take out the whole assembly, lay it out(stretched out of course, so you can dye it) and use the cloth/vinyl dye.

The glue that you got on the door, is that right above the armrest? If so, they sell stuff at Wal-Mart too that will clean up glue messes(just picked up some of that too the other day, works good).

I painted the cloth... (top part) with regular spraypaint. I just wanted to change the color. The rest of the door turnout out good except that I got glue on the rest of the red painted plastic which fucked it up. Also you can see by the vinyl that the masking tape I had used earlier took off some of the red paint. (Bottem line you can't paint cloth with regular spray paint.. duh! :lol: )

Also, what would be good to use on the seatbelt to make it black?

205d0045.jpg

I think the original owner of my car would freak out.. It used to be light grey exterior/interior. :lol:

BUY NEW ONES your not suppose to dye your seat belts :? it makes them weak or something like that :confused: my gm repair manual say's its not good to dye the seat belts :? wonder why.

You should never dye seat belts. It severely weakens the material. It's in the owners manual AND service manual. 94-96's were available with charcoal interiors. They got black seat belts.

I think I might have heard that before, but I don't really care cause I don't see how bad it could really weaken them.

The glue is below the armrest, where it would drip naturally. I have no problem taking it off.. its just that the paint comes off with it. :lol:

I did my other door differently... did the vinyl first and cleaned up the glue and then painted the plastic. Turned out better that way.

I'd like to do an entire charcoal interior swap.. but I'm not spending anymore money into this car. Its done. Regular maintenance only, and maybe paint a few more things with what I got left in the garage. Gotta save up for the GTP.

I get my car back at 4 today, so i'll put the dash pad in the car real fast and take a pic. Please mind that there are no A-pillar panels (fiberglassing, drivers side done, passenger side needs finished) in the car right now.

Not the L67 please, unless your going for a pre 97.

Yes, I'm going to the dark side. However since people seem to forget, it IS a w-body and this place will still be my home.

You should never dye seat belts. It severely weakens the material. It's in the owners manual AND service manual. 94-96's were available with charcoal interiors. They got black seat belts.

In the doors, ie chevy Lumina? Im goin 2 tone gray/black.. Ill leave my belts alone.. Just clean the bitches! lol