audio system idea

GPdriver1986

I was looking at my home stereo today, it has a sub 10'' in a box and it is connected to the front speakers, it says it needs 100W RMS continous which I'm sure is the same as in the car. So I was thinking would this work?

This is stock:

396539_17_full.jpg

396539_18_full.jpg

I would still have the front speakers and it would only be 1 sub.

Yes.

Most passive home audio subs have High Pass outputs for the other speakers. Meaning that there's a crossover inside the cabinet, and that your speakers that are connected to the sub will have the bass reduced from their signal. (To Protect them)

Edit: Let me clarify, only IF your sub has L & R inputs, and L & R outputs can you wire it up that way.

Home stuff is usually 8ohms. Car stuff usually 4 ohm. Headunits don't have enough power to power a subwoofer. Sorry, but crappy idea.

Go buy some real car audio even if its from Walmart its better than your home/car theater idea.

Ya I know its a bad idea but I just wanted to know for sure if that would be bad to do. I'm gonna spend the money and get a proper amp for the sub(s)

I was looking at my home stereo today, it has a sub 10'' in a box and it is connected to the front speakers, it says it needs 100W RMS continous which I'm sure is the same as in the car. So I was thinking would this work?

This is stock:

396539_17_full.jpg

396539_18_full.jpg

I would still have the front speakers and it would only be 1 sub.

high quality technical drawings

I was looking at my home stereo today, it has a sub 10'' in a box and it is connected to the front speakers, it says it needs 100W RMS continous which I'm sure is the same as in the car.

Also aside from the technical drawings a stock Delco deck isn't gonna put anywhere near 100wRMS. Maybe 20w RMS total power if that. Need amp for a sub or you're just gonna waste time and/or break stuff.

NOOOOOO

DO NOT DO THIS.

no head unit stock or aftermarket is designed to power a sub. a sub needs an external amp to power it.

you do have some options though.

many 2 channels amps can be run in 3way mode. provided the speakers and the sub are all 4 ohm each.

or a 4 channel amp use two of the channels to run the speakers and then bridge the other 2 to 4 ohm bridged and run the sub provided it is 4 ohm.

or use 2 seperate amps.

to get the signal for the amps you can either find an amp that will accept a high level input signal. like the signal that comes from speaker wires.

OR

buy some LOC's (line out convertors) these will convert the speaker level signal to a rca signal that most amps can handle.

http://www.bcae1.com/ for some basic car audio tech info.

Monty