replacing Struts at home

95GTP

What are some of the issues with changing out the struts at home. I have a bad one clunking and driving me nuts. I located KYB GR2's for $192 shipped for all 4 corners!

Part numbers are Front 366004

Back 236003

Do I need to get the strut removal tool or what?

i could give you step by step, but your best bet is to get a factory service manual. there are specific torque specs you need to follow. and yes you do need a w-body strut removal tool, are you replacing the springs too? if your replacing the springs the whole front hub has to come off. if just the struts you can replace the cartridges up front , but the whole assembly out back. i cant stress a factory service manual enough especially if you want to do you own maintence and service on your car.

What are some of the issues with changing out the struts at home. I have a bad one clunking and driving me nuts. I located KYB GR2's for $192 shipped for all 4 corners!

Part numbers are Front 366004

Back 236003

Do I need to get the strut removal tool or what?

Where did you get them for $192? I am about to do all four. Here is a link on how to do the back.

http://redfox340.w-body.com/wbodyperformance/id30.html

I believe you can borrow the tool for the front from Autozone (for just replacing the cartridge). I just purchased a set of factory manuals off of Ebay to make maintenance a little easier. Getting a factory manual would be a good idea and that is a good place to look for one.

The fronts are way easier than the back..... my big issue with struts is the nut on the top, getting it tighted down all the way... If you can, have a shop do that part after (obviously) the mount is on the assembly.....

A note on the front.... The collar that holds them down will likely be covered in crap (rust and debres) , the collar has 4 holes in it you will probably not be able to see.. you will need to rotate the tool till you feel the click of the nubs on the end of the tool trying to go into the holes of the collar.... at that point , give it a good smack or two with a hammer, then loosen the collar.......

Good luck.......

Make sure you check the thread pitch on the new KYB's for the front, they were not the same as the factory ones I had to replace, and had to locate a new nut to secure the front assembly and hold it down. I wish that I could remember the pitch, the nut wasn't expensive it was just hard to find self locking. I ended up using some washers instead.

Unfortunately I didn't realize this was going to be a problem until after I tried to spin the nut on with an air impact, so I ended up getting myself a tap and dye set. :oops: Good luck, and Autozone rents the front strut removal tool, you pay full price and tax, but 100% refund when you bring it back.

Did you buy the mounts also? There are different ones for standard and heavy duty suspension. I have a 95 Cutlass convertible. Anyone know which suspension it has?

Guest TurboSedan
Did you buy the mounts also? There are different ones for standard and heavy duty suspension. I have a 95 Cutlass convertible. Anyone know which suspension it has?

how exactly do the strut mounts differ between the standard and heavy duty suspensions?

Guest TurboSedan
I got the rear struts today and plan on getting them on this weekend. Only has $$$ for the rears right now easy job.

Since when are the rears an easy job?

with coilovers the rear struts are REALLY easy :)

as long as you have a hydraulic jack to compress the monoleaf, the rear struts shouldn't be too bad of a job.

Yea bro easy job. Done with both sides in two hours and I took a break. No springs to compress, two bolts on top and two on the bottom. Make alignment marks and put it all together. Just had to cut the top bolts from the old struts to get the mount off. I didnt have to jack up the rear either but I did to get the alignment in.

Well thats the way it was for a GTP, cant say I would know about the other W-bodies.

The GM manual made it out to be much harder than it actually was.

The old ones were completely shot, wow, fricken gone! It drive so good now, cant wait to get $$$ for the fronts.

I ordered the rears from Tire Rack yesterday. I'll be installing them next week. Doesn't sound too difficult. :cheers:

Did you order the boots too? Ya might, ya probably will need to replace them too. When you get to taking out the struts and having a hard time getting the top strut bolt off be careful not to mess up the mount, they are like $45 each. I had to cut off the fuckas, broke my torx bit and didnt want to break more. By the way, who designed the torx bit? What a piece of shit.