Trunk Flood fixing, lots of pics

White93z34

after i got sick of my trunk looking like lake erie i decided to do something about it. i did this on my lumina so other w-bodys may be abit different. and seriously water comes in where i never expected it to. the root cause of this as far as i can see is when GM built the cars they sealed alot of the body seams with cheep filler and it leaks after 10+ years or so in my case i had water comeing in in 3 different places, but i'll get to that later

tube of silicone sealer (color don't matter unless you care)

a caulking gun

alot of time

first take all your trunk liner out

spare tire can stay in unless its excessively wet under there then dry out everything that you can. a good sunny day is the best to let the trunk air out.

anyhoo all the trunk liner has to come out sides back and bottom once thats out bust out the silicone and gun.

i have found most of the problem areas are on the drivers side so i spent most of my time there.

pull out the tail lights and there is a seam that is probably cracked to hell bust out the silicone and run a bead across it includeing the underside of the lip

trunk01.JPG

not the best picture but the bead i ran is the black line it covers the seam perfectly.

trunk02.JPG

and this picture shows the inside where the seam needs to be sealed as well, for some reason the factory didn't seal the inside of this seam, just the outside :roll:

now this is where i got the worst of the watter behind the gas cap filler water would come up off the road and leak in

trunk03.JPG

its a very tricky area to fill good so just go over board so it don't have to be done again make sure to get WAY back in the seam by the wheel well to keep the water out

trunk04.JPG

this was another problem area there is a seam in the rain gutter that usually cracks and comes loose fill the underside of it good (its harder to see cause i was useing clear sealer in these pics ) but for the sake of being safe i got the seam right on the wheel well

trunk05.JPG

ok now we move to the top be sure to seal right under the windows water likes to drip on that

trunk06.JPG

just another pic of seams that need sealed up

trunk07.JPG

and another its good to go wild then you fix any potential leaks

trunk08.JPG

thats a seam that you need to be sure to get its a problem seam

trunk09.JPG

the underside of one of the front seams

trunk10.JPG

trunk11.JPG

and for good measure before i put the tails back in i stuck some sealer on the studs[/img]

i hope this works for you.

BTW if i posted this in the wrong section please move it.

actually that stuff is real easy to work with it will seal perfect untill i decide i don't want it there no more and then it will peal right off, its prety neat stuff, so i'm not worried about that.