subs

GPdriver1986

I'm thinking of getting some subs for my car, probably MTX. I was thinking of a few different setups:

1)1 10'' sub

2)2 10'' subs

3)1 12'' sub

So which setup would be good? I'm probably gonna buy a mono amp either a MTX or some other one.

Depends what you want. Sound quality or loudness? If you want good sound quality with just enough bass to make everything sound good, then 1 12" in a sealed box (like mine) would be good enough. One 10" in a sealed box however, I think wouldn't be very much, but in a properly build ported box would sound alright. If you want louder bass then you are gonna want a ported box, and 2 x 10" is lots, and 1 x 12" would be plenty to shake the car too.

Theres a big difference between subs aswell.. you really get what you pay for. For example when I was at the stereo shop the cheapest Kenwoods didn't pound near as hard as some Rockford Forgates that were the same size.

You are best to go and have a listen, and if you know people with subs already in their car that are comparable to what you wanna buy, thats even better.

Heres a shot of my trunk..

12" sealed, 460w bridged going to it.

db2c707e.jpg

I have one 10" Soundstream SPL DVC and its perfect for what I want. I competed way back with 2 12" JL w4 DVC's and they pounded! Too much for what I want...and my ears need a break!

how much was your amp (sub) again?

I got it from http://etronics.com Now as I understand they are new but NO warrantee. It was $130 US or around there. It came to $240CND after shipping and tax. Thats still way better than $280 at Futureshop (before tax). This amp has tons of power for one sub. It would be perfect for 2.

If you are just gonna go with one sub I'd say save money and buy something a bit smaller. Match the RMS power of the sub(s) with the RMS of the amp.. or pretty close anyways. My sub RMS is 500w, amp 460w RMS (bridged, 4 ohms).

if you do get mtx and you get a 12 go for the thunder 8000 series, if got one 15 in my car now, and it pounds there 500 watts rms and 1000 peak, get two of em and itll pound even more :D

I had Eminem on really loud yesterday and my rearview mirror was shaking like a bastard. My 12" sealed sub pumps out quit a bit. Handles 500w RMS, 1000w peak.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/product/detail/0,,2076_4061_34658,00.html?compName=PNA_ProductDetailComponent

Heres some subs from Forest City Surplus (check out the Pioneer one)

http://www.fcsurplus.ca/shopping/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=18&cat=Woofers

does an body know if Visionik subs are any good. my buddy at work is gonna sell me 2 15's for $80. right now there in a truck w/ a 1500 watt crunch amp and they dont sound that bad.

aight i got a profile 600sx which is 450 rms briged at 4 ohms...... with a rockford Punch HE 15. slams pretty hard... i got the side mirrors going too.... the trunklid jumps about 1/2" too....... my box is a 2.5 CF MDF homeade box. will get pics soon...... thinking about going a lil smaller though.

You DO get what you pay for, thats for sure..... Started off with 2 JBL 12's (Buy 1 get 1) in a shitty ass box and a jensen amp...First off, the box was a POS and I mounted my amp on top and it would mess with the magnets on the subs. Then got a Legacy 1000 Watt 4 ch amp for $75. Then an upgraded box for 25 (Sounded decent) Ended up blowing the JBL's, got 2 MA Audio 12's, started blwoing the box apart, then the ground current in the amp blew ( could follow the ground circuit in the amp by the fried trail) and 1 of the subs so I finally maned up and spend some real cash.... 2 Kicker solobaric L7 12's, custom made my boxes with 3/4" MDF, ported em, got a planet audio Class D 1200 watt amp, 4 guage wire all around, and havent had a problem in 2-3 years :D LOUD AS HELL SOUNDS AWESOME