1st Gen 3800 V6 cooling question

gtphill

Hello all,

I added a cooling flush kit today to my 1st Gen (92) Regal. I spliced it into the 5/8" heater core send line. After back flushing the coolant system, and opening the plug on the radiator to drain it, I followed the instruction in my Haines manual to refilll it. I did NOT open the block drains.

To my surprise, the system only took about 5 quarts of 50/50 coolant mix(stated capacity is 11 quarts), so I closed the thermostat air bleed valve and let it run for a while with out the radiator cap to see if I could get some additional air out of it. I saw a few bubble emerge, but nothing huge.

It is now running a bit hotter than before. After it cooled I opened up the thermostat air valve and tried to cap it off a bit more.

So the question. Do I have big air bubble stuck in it somewhere, and if so, what's the best way to force it out?

Advice/constructive criticism appreciated!

After you flush your radiator, you should fill it up with 50% of the system's capacity with STRAIGHT antifreeze (do not mix.) After you add the straight antifreeze, fill the rest of the way with water. The way you did yours, some of the water was left over from flushing, and when you added a 50/50 mix, it diluted the mixture further. That's why it runs hotter...

To fix the problem couldn't you just drain it again, and open the block drains (if thats what you're suppose to do :confused:)

i haven't worked on a 3800 (yet), the 2.8/3.1 is very easy to do.

After you flush your radiator, you should fill it up with 50% of the system's capacity with STRAIGHT antifreeze (do not mix.) After you add the straight antifreeze, fill the rest of the way with water. The way you did yours, some of the water was left over from flushing, and when you added a 50/50 mix, it diluted the mixture further. That's why it runs hotter...

Ahh,

This makes complete sense, because I was only able to fill about half of the system, which would give the correct mix. I'll redrain and and refill it today.

Thanks!