Ah dammit, ISS problems...AGAIN!

SaberZ

Well Wednsday my friend and I put in a new ISS(intermediate steering shaft) into my 01 impala. It's been plagued with the Clunking noise since it left the dealer, they did the grease/lube kit to it 2 times and the problem went away but overtime came back, and worse then before. So this being the 3rd time, and the car being out of warranty I went ahead and bought a new ISS since thats what several mechanics shops i know recommended. Friend spends the 1-2 hours installing it, and drive the car around, everything is beautiful. No clunking noise when turning the wheel, no vibration coming up through the shaft onto the wheel. It's perfect.

Now today I'm driving to lunch and it all comes back :cry: . I think it might have gotten loose or something. I'm really getting fed up, anyone have any ideas or recommendations on this? Everytime I get :D with my car, it just slaps me around and goes :oops: to me.

Well going back to my friends shop today to have it checked out again. Also sent an email to chevy with the whole story of my car from day 1 when it left the dealership. Hoping GM has a heart and will help out, then again never had Corporate America ever help me. Here's wishing for the best :D

Ok went to friends shop, checked ISS and put it back and tightened the bolts again and the clunking is still there. Hopefully GM will reply to my email about this, I don't want a car that goes *clunk *clunk when im turning all over the place. Spent to much time and money on this already :cry:

Well I got a reply from GM Customer Assistance Center on Sunday Night.

The Manager of this department contacted my local Chevy Dealer(Preakness Chevrolet) and basically told me that since I had it replaced outside of a GM service department that I would have to go into the dealer and have them checkout the car for a 95 dollar diagnostic fee. If at that time GM finds a problem that is within their realm of "responsibility" then GM will cover the cost of the repair. If it is outside that realm, then I will have to cover the cost of the repair.

My argument i made with the lady is this.

I've had this issue with the car since I left the lot with the original 7,234 miles on it. Under warranty I brought the car in 2 times for this, and the problem came back. After warranty expired I brought it to my friend who handles my maintainence on the vehicle and he is very good at what he does. All he did was swap out the ISS and lubed it ect(i did the lubing, doesnt take a scientist to do it). Now if GM had properly fixed this when the car was under warranty I WOULDN'T have had to swap out the ISS. I WOULDN'T have had to goto an outside source for the repair. This is cause and effect, and the problem lies with the dealer's lack of ability to repair the issue. If they had done the job right or fixed whatever problems were associated with it, then I wouldn't be fuming /pissed at this point. No other car cept GM vehicles(certain makes) use this dilapitated peice of monkey ass ISS. And GM supposedly recitifed this issue with the new 04 models. So now I have to bring the car in on my day off and get judged by a dealer who will probably be biased and not help me out, nor give me an estimate for a repair or a general idea of what I might be getting into cost wise.

Frankly if this comes to be a cost to me, I'm going to basically tell them to take the car back, and give me my money. I'm not financing a car for 5 years and so far for my first 2 years has given me ISS grief. I am sure as hell not going to put up with it for another 3 years and have GM line their pockets with my money on this matter.

The Manager also said to consider the ISS lubrication as regular maintenance(Lube kit + Labor = few hundred probably like 150=200 dollars). Maintenance my foot, not other vehicle requires this much BS for a stearing shaft.

Sorry for my rant, just i'm sick and tired of this crap and being brushed aside. I've had it. Going to wear some steel tipped boots and if need be kick some ass down there.