Where can you buy this?

MommyTaz022200

I don't know the actual name for what I am looking for. They mount on the very bottom of the rear bumper, above the exhaust pipes and are made of metal. Maybe they are heat shields? Anyway mine are rusted and missing chunks, and so are all the ones I've seen at the junkyards. Do they sell new ones anywhere? Otherwise I might be able to make some, but what type of metal would be best to make them?

Ive got a 90 GP LE that Im parting out, single exhaust, exits at the passenger side. Im guessing the heat shiel would be the same for both sides. If it is, I'll sell ya the heat shield off my 90

Can any of the people that are parting out let me know a price for them? I am looking for some that are in decent condition, I don't really care if I need to sand a little rust and paint them. I just can't sand mine and fix them since they are missing some chunks.

Do any of the parting out cars have the center DIC column like mine? I just need an ashtray for mine though, not the whole column. I'm also looking for the while from end from a 93 - 96 2 door (I don't like the light bar on the 4 door front). I'd prefer one with fog lights, but if I can't get one with them I'd take what I can get. I am willing to trade my front end if anyone needs my parts, or I will be selling them, but I have to have a different front end first. I will be getting my taxes soon, and probably can't afford to pay for a front end until then. I just wanted to ask in case someone has one and is willing to hold onto it for a little bit or wants to trade.

As for the front facia, that's going to be a hard one to pull off. You have 91+ LE cladding, and only 88-90's had the center fog lights (not a fog light bar like you have). You'd have to find something that has similar trim, which I don't believe even exists. You COULD throw another front end on, but it wouldn't look right.

I'm also looking for the while from end from a 93 - 96 2 door (I don't like the light bar on the 4 door front). I'd prefer one with fog lights, but if I can't get one with them I'd take what I can get. I am willing to trade my front end if anyone needs my parts, or I will be selling them, but I have to have a different front end first.

Like digitaloutsider said, a different one wouldn't look right. Compare yours to some of the 2 door models. The styling is completely different and the '91-'96 2 door models have the mini quad headlights. I don't know for sure, but maybe the '88-'90 foglights would bolt up after the center light bar was removed (digitaloutsider & gearhead43 would know for sure). Then you could come up with something to fill the center (like maybe the center piece from a damaged '88-'90 bumper or a cut down Z34, GTZ, Z26, or Z24 solid grille panel). It would be unique if it would work. I've also seen people paint the light bar body color for a different look.

i think supreme_style_21 is also going to be parting his 89 out as well. at least after they cut the top off.

Monty

Ah its piece by piece. I haven't had time to even go back home and do anything with it recently. I'm sure everything underneath is rust. The whole car is junk.

I was curious as to how this would look, so here's my 5 minute chop:

image-display?photo_id=2294295&size=lg

You're not understanding what I mean. Here's a 2 minute photoshop of it (I got the pics. from this site, so I hope their owners don't mind)

434980_51.jpg

The heatshields are still sold through the dealer(cheaper through GMpartsdirect), I believe they go for ~$17/each, I'll have to dig up the part # later, I know I wrote it on something around here the other day.

You're not understanding what I mean. Here's a 2 minute photoshop of it (I got the pics. from this site, so I hope their owners don't mind)

434980_51.jpg

OK, I see now. The problem with using the B4U front fascia is that it's wider where it meets the fenders. If you'd put it on your car without the fender flares, ther'd be some unsightly gaps at the wheel wells. There is a member here (can't remember his name) who did put the front & rear B4U bumpers on a 4 door without using the flares. He has a CarDomain page showing how he did it - it looked like it involved some bodywork as he added material to blend the pieces into the fenders.

EDIT: I found it: http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/218846

Like digitaloutsider said, a different one wouldn't look right. Compare yours to some of the 2 door models. The styling is completely different and the '91-'96 2 door models have the mini quad headlights. I don't know for sure, but maybe the '88-'90 foglights would bolt up after the center light bar was removed (digitaloutsider & gearhead43 would know for sure). Then you could come up with something to fill the center (like maybe the center piece from a damaged '88-'90 bumper or a cut down Z34, GTZ, Z26, or Z24 solid grille panel). It would be unique if it would work. I've also seen people paint the light bar body color for a different look.

The car at this link looks like the side of mine, except the color. The cars like this one are the ones I have been comparing mine to, and I don't see where the fender cladding looks much different. No chrome? That's all I see. Maybe I'm overlooking it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6422&item=2474105093&rd=1

MommyTaz..

The question you have to ask yourself is, which headlight system you prefer to use: Miniquads or the large 88-90 2 door/ 4 door style?

You can go with the lights you have and swap a 88-90 SE BYP front end (like Diggy's.) But the beltline moulding will not match the sides and rear. Meaning you would need to change the moulding all around the car.

But the headlights on the 4 doors have the parking blubs inside of them. (To light all across from the Centerbar. 2 door 88-90 headlights didn't have it. Plus if you do this type of conversion, I strongly recommend getting the 88-89 front lights. Why? 2 reasons: a) The headlights are GLASS and will not cloud with age like the ploycarbonate plastic ones, and B) The headlights, fog lights, and corner lights have a black trim surrounding them which (I think) gives a better looking finished appearance.

OR

You can go with Miniquads from a 2-door 91-93 BYP SE. The moulding will match. But then you will need a complete frontend clip of a 91-93 2 door and you need to swap the entire front light wiring harness, the lights, and the supporting panels.

Eoither way you go it's a job. But it can be done..... If you buy me a bus ticket .. I'll come out there and do it for ya..LOL

The car at this link looks like the side of mine, except the color. The cars like this one are the ones I have been comparing mine to, and I don't see where the fender cladding looks much different. No chrome? That's all I see. Maybe I'm overlooking it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6422&item=2474105093&rd=1

image-display?photo_id=2301047&size=lg

The body cladding/molding on the 2 door sits lower than on the 4 door. The beltline that goes around the car is a pair of creases that start out about 2.5" apart at the front and taper to about 3" at the rear. If you look at a door with no molding attached, you'll see it. On a 2 door, the moldings line up with the bottom crease. On a 4 door like yours, they line up with the top crease. Also, the 2 door molding is a little more exaggerated (the grooves are wider & deeper and the whole molding sticks out a little more). If you did put the 2 door mini quad front on your car, I'm sure that 95% of the people wouldn't notice the slight differences. If you wanted all of the moldings to match exactly, the side ones would have to be made from a couple sets of 2 door ones since that style never came on a 4 door and the 2 door rear bumper would be needed. Another thing to consider is that the 4 door moldings attach through a bunch of holes drilled into the body right below the top beltline crease. So, if the 2 door stuff was used, all of these holes would need to be filled. The chrome strip between the front wheel well and the fascia is a separate piece attached to the fender. If you did just the front, you'd have to fill those holes.

Origionally I wanted to use the front off a 94- 96 with the B4U trim and the round fog lights. (I actually still do want to) I realize that would mean custom work/splicing trim pieces for the doors and splicing the wiring for the lights. Thr only reason I feel like I can't do it is because I can't seem to find the parts to do it. They sell B4U flares on eBay for $49.99 EACH and at that price for just the flares alone I will go broke. But changing trim don't bother me, I would have for the B4U package, and still would if I could find one that won't cost more then I paid for my entire car.

Mommytaz,

Then what you need to to do is find a cheap 94-96 B4U GP with a slavage title that you can pick up for 100-200 bucks, Take what you need to do your GP and part out the rest and make some cash to offset the expense.

Then you would need to modify the rear B4U part to accomidate the rear door. The B4U's door paneling can be left off or I bet Diggy can make you some custom 4 door panels with the vacuum forming machine he has.

That's what I was thinking too, that I should just buy a whole car. For me to pay about $200 just for the wheel flares is nuts. Maybe I can even find one with a 3.4L so I have extra engine parts, or find one with a decent set of wheels.

My Ideal overall plans for my car are:

1. fix the rust (which I am working on, I got the doors and quarter panels in my basement so I can fix them no matter how crappy the weather is)

2. rubberize paint any of the areas I am able to get to that are not visiable when the doors, ground effects, and quarter panels are on the car. (the area between the front and back door, under the door hinges, and under the trim piece that's below the doors is rusty) and rubberize the inside of the doors and backside of the quarter panels.

3. get some plastic clips to hold the lower part of the door cladding on the door, since the metal ones that were used have turned into a rust-colored dust.

4. make the drain tubes GM decided to put under the front and rear quarter panels longer, then mold and secure them into the mud guards in the wheel wells. (I'd rather have water drain on my tires then inside the body to get trapped... Dumb GM)

5. Make functional hood scoops.

6. Put the car back together (obviously) and paint it gloss black. Paint the ground effects and bottom bumper trim Camelion. (Maybe paint the grill piece in the front bumper camelion too, but not sure)

To do most of these things I need the body parts I want to use. I also am not sure what I want to do about my rims. I think the Cars that are white and have white wheels look great, but not any other color. I don't care much for my car to be white because a tiny bit of rust leaves a huge streak stained into the paint and makes the whole car look like a rust pit, so I want to go with Black.

I was wondering if anyone know: I know if I put Rims/Tires that are bigger then mine it will mess with the speedometer and odometer, but is there anything I should be concerned about if I go with 16" on the front and 17" or 18" on the back?

Gearhead - you said the glass headlights are better, which I totally agree with. What I'm wondering is besides them being glass are the quad lights the same? Is the entire glass piece the bulb, where you got to buy the big glass bulbs for replacements or are they glass lenses and they still use the smaller bulbs where the socket twists off the lens area? (I hope you understand what I mean by that)

Don't put money on this, but I think the mini-quads lights are the complete big bulb. I don't think it comes undone like the ones you have now. Also, Miniquads are nowhere near as bright as the lights you have on your car now. That's the biggest overall disadvantage.

mini quads look much better though

That is totally why I want them. I do think with the Xenon bulbs in them they will give me plenty of light, maybe even more then I have now if I get foglights and put Xenon bulbs in them as well. I have never used them before but my sister has some and her headlights are totally bright.