need Help ASAP

sonyman87

I need to know the steps on adding 134a Coolant to my airconditioning system.

if someone could get back to me by 3pm that would be GREAT!

my airconditoner dont work worth a damn aby 10-15degrees cooler then outside air.. :x .

When I did it the system needed to be evacuated, but if it is empty the do it your self kits are fine, you need a can of oil and the good kits have full empty gauges on them, so turn the car on with A/C blowing on high and put the fitting on the end, it will only fit on one of them and open the valve. or do the math and read the sticker and don't over fill. good luck

I need to know the steps on adding 134a Coolant to my airconditioning system.

if someone could get back to me by 3pm that would be GREAT!

my airconditoner dont work worth a damn aby 10-15degrees cooler then outside air.. :x .

It would be helpful if you had a gauge set to give you pressures. If you have good pressure but no cooling, then you have a blockage somewhere. Your car should already be R134a so you can get a refill kit with a charging hose and put some of that in. Be warned though, over charging is just as detrimental as undercharging.

Also, if your system has been sitting empty for a while (like all winter,) you should definately pull a vacuum on the system (evacuate) to get all of the moisture out before you add refrigerant. This also makes adding the refrigerant a breeze, since it just sucks it right in.

I'd recommend buying the complete recharge kits. They're only around $25 and come with the refrigerant and everything else you need; including complete instuctions.

ok so i will chime in here.

the ac in my GP is cool but not cold like my cutlass.

do i just buy one of them kits and go for it or do i need to find out if i have a leak or what?

thanks

Monty

find the collector, its near the radiator, and from it you'll see a line that goes under the air box. you may need to take the air box off, I have fat hands,so its a must for me. take a pen or something that size and push in the schaeder valve, if you hear a suck, you have vacuum, if not, you have a leak. only keep this valve depressed for a second, you don't want air getting in there. just the precious 134a. get a good hose for the 134 system, it will have a fitting to go over the valve, and a screw fitting that goes onto the canisters of freeze juice. shake the can a lot. affix the valve end, and open the screw on the canister, hold the can upside down.

don't worry about adding too much, if there is a vacuum, it will suck it in as much as it can, I seriously doubt that any can has the needed pressure to blow the system. Once the a/c lines have enough pressure, they will stop taking the freeze juice.

a simple way to tell if your system has enough 134:

1) open the hood

2) start the car

3) have a friend turn on the ac

4) watch the compressor wheel engage on the pulley

5) listen for a click

its slight, but its defintely there. if you hear it, you're golden. if not, that means that the pressure in the ac system is not enough to open the internal valves on the 134a itself, which prevents it from evaporating and cooling your car.

Hope it helps.

find the collector, its near the radiator, and from it you'll see a line that goes under the air box. you may need to take the air box off, I have fat hands,so its a must for me. take a pen or something that size and push in the schaeder valve, if you hear a suck, you have vacuum, if not, you have a leak. only keep this valve depressed for a second, you don't want air getting in there. just the precious 134a. get a good hose for the 134 system, it will have a fitting to go over the valve, and a screw fitting that goes onto the canisters of freeze juice. shake the can a lot. affix the valve end, and open the screw on the canister, hold the can upside down.

don't worry about adding too much, if there is a vacuum, it will suck it in as much as it can, I seriously doubt that any can has the needed pressure to blow the system. Once the a/c lines have enough pressure, they will stop taking the freeze juice.

a simple way to tell if your system has enough 134:

1) open the hood

2) start the car

3) have a friend turn on the ac

4) watch the compressor wheel engage on the pulley

5) listen for a click

its slight, but its defintely there. if you hear it, you're golden. if not, that means that the pressure in the ac system is not enough to open the internal valves on the 134a itself, which prevents it from evaporating and cooling your car.

Hope it helps.

u mean condensor? and adding to much is bad, it will effect the efficency of the a/c system. to much pressure will make the high side go up in pressure and the low side go down in pressure, when it gets low enough it will eventually freeze the evaporator and then your a/c will suck. so be careful when adding

Personally I'd go to a shop, have 'em suck down the system to a good vacuum and get fresh oil/134a charge in there, the kits are cheap, and heck you may have a shop do it for ya, as 134a is real cheap.

Personally I like my R12 (and my license to buy it)

--Dave

Today is my last day with a garage for the week and i still have NO cold air.

Im thinking the pump wont kick the clutch on b/c it probably took mayber an 1/8 of a can to get a good preasure reading!

The line had maybe 5-10pounds in it and it requires 25-45pounds and i put it up to 35pounds according to the gauge on the kit.

Yes the motor was running and the A/C was on max and the fan was blowing at full tilt.

Im about to check it again to see if the preasure is gone.... gawd i hate pulling my stock air box out. its a huge pain in the ass without that flex hose.

damnit

im now up to 45 pounds of 134a coolant and oil and no cold air! do you think my ffp underdrive pully is keeping the compressor from kicking in?

its 120* in my car with the windows down(dark interior)

any recomendations?

check the wires on the AC system, and also if you have access to a scan tool hook it up and see if it's got a pressure reading to the computer, also check to make sure it's requesting the AC, and then there's also the AC relay that you should check

my AC relay went out, I replaced it, and now I've got AC again.

and no, the underdrive pulley won't keep it from running the AC, it will only make it less efficent at idle.

--Dave.

hahaha guess what! i have a hypertech chip.. which means the AC has been disabled. i plan on putting the stock chip back in next weekend. i cant wait to have ac again!

you can smack me now