Doing a Burnout

hoodilio

Hey guys, I know i havnt been on the boards in a while, ive been really busy. Just thought ide share something I did for the first time recently. Ok, i had washed my car with my bro one day, he washed his too, and after we finished since the driveway was all wet, we decided to do some burnouts. Since he has a camaro, he could just do them while holding his break and flooring it. But in my car that wont work, soo i decided to try what one of my friends recomended, Set my Parking break, and just floor it (not really all the day).. This worked really good, good amount of smoke, and no damage occured to my car, only thing shady that happened was that there was like a loud creeking sound in the back of the car (I had just assumed it was the break trying to hold the car from moveing), Anyone else got any thoughts????

nah, the tranny held up fine, it realy seems to be able to take alot. Something in the rear suspension is what i am worried about.

thats what you think, keep pushing it like that and you'll see what happens

no damage occured to my car

that's what you think

Yeah, really. No damage? Do that a few more times and you'll significantly shorten the life of your transmission (and other drivetrain components).

Jesus Christ guys, you sound like my mom. If you arent having any problems now, then drive it. As far as the creaking sound, prolly the struts them selves or the mounts, more than likely just from old age.

If its a wet driveway its not really that hard on the transmission, compared dry hot pavement. Its still a stupid thing to do with FWD cars though. Hell, I busted the brake line on our '85 T-bird years ago doing a brake stand but luckly it stalled so I didn't go anywhere :lol: .

I was also gonna say the creaking might just be the struts.. mine creak all the time I need new ones. When I jack the car up it sounds like the car wants to break in half.

shit my '87 tbird won't even break the tires loose

120 ashphalt destroying horsepower

It takes a little while, and gotta give it just the right amount of brake so that the rear wheels aren't restricted. It may seem hard but it's quite possible. :lol:

It takes a little while, and gotta give it just the right amount of brake so that the rear wheels aren't restricted. It may seem hard but it's quite possible. :lol:

knowing phord i'd blow the trans trying, that trans has major hunting problems, it constantly shifts between 3rd and 4th

My '86 Cougar 3.8 had no problem smoking the tires most of the time I owned it...unless I had lots of stuff in the trunk.

my 240SX would hardly ever break the tires loose...unless you were turning and in that case you just started sliding (rwd)...lol it was a fun car...slighty faster then my gp...but the fact it was an auto sucked...and the SOHC really sucks in those...though i miss it for some reason

my 90 SE would do burnouts all night long, but I didnt have front calipers on the car, had the hoses pinched. lotta brake and a little gas I could sit there and smoke sumthing fierce.

and yes, its VERY hard on the tranny/axles when you smoke the tires.

-Jeff

I've only really jumped on the Regal once, and it managed to break 'em loose for a quick squeal, with the 3800. I try to baby her, she's old, and is going to have to hold up for a while (I hope)

BTW- I knew a guy with a 98 GP that would do that, parking brake burnouts, not all the time, but quite a bit. His tranny lasted all of 20,000 miles. From new. Read- 20,000 on the clock, and it was toast. Wouldn't want to think how a Another friend bought a '96 Monte, this was back in '98-ish. Had around 40,000 on it, he drove it like a Ferrarri. He needed a new trans in a year.

i bet your 240SX handled good though....these thunderbirds handle like boats, they feel heavier than they actually are

oh jesus christ that was the best handling car i ever owned...i saw them rip one apart on tuner transformation...what dumbasses...first they say it handles like shit and that the KA24 engine has no potential?! They're fuckin stupid...i've seen turbo KA24Es do wheelies from having so much good low end torque on the SOHC motor

anyways....my gp sucks...it'll squeal em a little..but it's gotten worse as my motor mounts have worn out

but the tgp i want...well...it left a nice 6 foot patch of rubber from about 10mph :twisted:

ha doing that to your car will definitely shorten its whole life. doing the parking brake is like taking a sledghammer to your drivetrain components. do brake torque if nothing else, thats at least a little safer.