Does this make sense?

MommyTaz022200

A friend told me that most of my car issues could have to do with my computer. He said that it needs to be programmed to run my engine with the bigger bore. He said the computer tells the engine to put out the right amount of gas and air for the factory bore, so with the engine bored over it may need to adjust to the new bore.

Could be.. But if she get's Ben's Memcal its considered a MOD. But I would check other stuff as well, Fuel Pressure, injectors, ICM, coil paks. Cylinder Compression, etc

I can honestly say the best mob I did on my Z was the chip from vegeta. It seemed to just give the car more power over all. It also changed my rev limiter and made it so my fans would kick in earlier (I think the chevy setting of like 210 of whatever is way to high!)

He said the computer tells the engine to put out the right amount of gas and air for the factory bore, so with the engine bored over it may need to adjust to the new bore.

Yeah, the computer gets a reading from the oxygen sensor. If there is too much oxygen then the computer tells it to add more gas. If there isn't enough oxygen then the computer will hold off gas. The computer is constantly adjusting with every change in air pressure and temprature Does the 3.1 and 2.8 use the same chip? They might, and if so that is proof right there. So what is the problem with your car anyway?

Guest TurboSedan
Does the 3.1 and 2.8 use the same chip?

She has a 3.4.

i think his point was - if the 2.8 and 3.1 use the same chip, then a 3.4 should be able to use the same chip with a larger bore since the 3.1 is really just a 2.8 with a larger bore.

i really doubt any 3.1 uses the same memcal as a 2.8, but that's just a guess.

the program shouldn't make that* much of a difference, you didn't bore the motor out so far that the unlearned calculations in the computer wouldn't be able to accomidate. People bore their engines out all the time without re-flashing a program, or changing the chip in the computer and they run fine.

--Dave

He said the computer tells the engine to put out the right amount of gas and air for the factory bore, so with the engine bored over it may need to adjust to the new bore.

Does the 3.1 and 2.8 use the same chip? They might, and if so that is proof right there.

No.

the 2.8 and 3.1 dont use the same chip...sheesh. Different stroke, not a bore change.

If all you did was bore the engine over .010 to .060...there is 0 percent chance that the computer chip is causing you any issues. While it may be every so slightly off....it probably is as much as anyone elses on this board that hasn't actually tune their cars computer. The computer does adjust fuel and spark (only retard for spark, never advanced beyond hard coded values).

Have you ran the car on a scantool to see what the computer is seeing? That would be the fastest way to know what the problem is. It has to be mechanical.

Guest Gp crazy

have you tried to REPLACE knock sensor or test it ? same with ICM or COIL .

I had a cracked coil chased it for a week. I was'nt able to see the spark or where it was. Until i used a spray bottle with water in the dark BUT DO NOT HOLD ON TO WIRE'S OR THE BLOCK "YOU WILL GET SHOCKED" ! YOU WILL SEE ARCING TO THE BLOCK OR OTHER WIRE'S !

I HOPE THIS WAS A HELP ALSO TRY TO REPLACE THE FUEL FILTER ? :twisted: JEFF B

ALSO TAP THE COMPUTER LIGHT TAPS SEVERAL TIMES

LISTEN TO THE ENGINE IDLE IT MAY CHANGE OR NOT . MINE DID CHANGE . CHANGED COMPUTER AND IT IS ALL WELL NOW . IM WORKING WITH 2.8 BORED OUT .30 NO CHANGE TO CPU RUNS FINE :shock: & 8) 3.1 BONE STOCK

Mine is bored over by .50. I got a "backyard mechanic" (friend's husband) coming over tomorrow. He wants to take a listen to it. I had power steering right after I put fluid in it, now it's gone again, but this time the fluid is still at the full cold mark. I think I'm going to rip the pump out and get a replacement. I'm working on getting a cutting disk to take the cat. converter off and hollow it out. I don't hear anything when I hit it and it isn't glowing or anything, but since the lack of acceleration above 60 mph started right after I got new mufflers I want to clear it out so I can rule it out 100%. My dad also said that if it is clogged a bigger bore may make the issues from a clog more noticable then if it was a stock bore. He said he isn't really sure tho, it's just a guess. It seems like it makes sense to me, and I would think that just rebuilding the engine could maybe make the issues more noticable since the cylinder compression will be higher after rebuild. Maybe I'm way off too, I'm not a mechanic...

the 2.8 and 3.1 dont use the same chip...sheesh. Different stroke, not a bore change.

If all you did was bore the engine over .010 to .060...there is 0 percent chance that the computer chip is causing you any issues. While it may be every so slightly off....it probably is as much as anyone elses on this board that hasn't actually tune their cars computer. The computer does adjust fuel and spark (only retard for spark, never advanced beyond hard coded values).

Have you ran the car on a scantool to see what the computer is seeing? That would be the fastest way to know what the problem is. It has to be mechanical.

When you say scan tool do you mean when you jump the A & B pins? I did that and I can't remember the code number (I think 13) but my haynes book says that just means the computer is being accessed. If that's not what you mean where do you get the scan tool? My check engine light don't even go on when it's running, only the antilock light does when it feels like it.

This is off subject but what is the Metal box under the front driver side quarter panel with the wires running into it?

when he is talking about a scan tool, he's talking about something that will access the computer via the diagnostic connecter, allowing you to moniter the different systems, with your car you will get reading such as RPM, Throtle possition percentages, O2 voltage, and many other things that you can read - it will also tell you where your timing is at and if you are getting knock. they are pretty nice, one to work for your car would probably cost about $300, there are others that are cheaper, but with less money you get less function, the same is true with more money meaning more function.

You'd be amazed at the things you can have wrong with your car without ever setting a code.

--Dave