has anyone cut a non-HUD dash for a HUD unit?

Guest TurboSedan

Guest TurboSedan

i installed my HUD over a year ago, but i've been using this really crappy looking black dash pad with it because it already had the hole for HUD. i still have my nice original dash pad (blue), i just never got around to cutting it. has anyone ever done this? i have today off so i'm going to pull the crappy HUD dash pad out, and try to cut a hole for the HUD in my nice dash pad by copying it i guess. i think i'm going to use my Dremel and a cut-off wheel but i'm not sure yet. hopefully i don't fuck it all up....

You're going to need something to close off the defroster vent (sheetmetal or fiberglass?).

I've thought about doing it since the original dashpad that came on my 94 has a nice leather-pattern to it that the HUD dashpad doesn't have.

Guest TurboSedan

i'm in the middle of doing it right now.....OMG what a bitch....

i see what you mean about the defrost vent, but why do i need to close it off? if i really need to do it, i guess i'll have to get a little creative but it doesn't look like it would be too hard to do.

well back to cut...test fit...cut...test fit...cut.... :roll: stupid Dremel cutting discs keep breaking on me.

Guest TurboSedan

well i have my nice blue original dash pad back in with the HUD. i probably messed around with that thing for about 4-5 hours just trying to cut everything and test fit. what a PITA. i am probably going to have to pull it back out and adjust it some more, but i'll post some pics later this week. it's was nice to finally get this piece of crap dash pad out of there:

http://www.turbosedan.com/addhud/addhud5.html

The cut I made was spot on with the HUD dash but lo and behold....the display managed to get a little crooked....I think it was the extra foam pushing the front up a hair

i see what you mean about the defrost vent, but why do i need to close it off? if i really need to do it, i guess i'll have to get a little creative but it doesn't look like it would be too hard to do.

Oh yeah, I forgot, maybe you don't. I forgot you have the older style HUD. The newer style cuts into the defroster and it would need to be closed off or air will blow into the dash.

Guest TurboSedan

Oh yeah, I forgot, maybe you don't. I forgot you have the older style HUD. The newer style cuts into the defroster and it would need to be closed off or air will blow into the dash.

it actually does cut into the defrost vents - i had to cut into it cuz there was no way around it.

however, it's on a '91 dash, so maybe that's why.

Guest TurboSedan

i'm mostly wondering if the windshield defroster will still be effective now that it blows under the dash pad. it 'looks' like it will still be effective, but i guess i won't know until it gets cold out again.