Gauge Cluster Question.

digitaloutsider

What? As far as I knew, TGP's got the turbo specific clusters, and they weren't the digital type. I've honestly never seen an 89 TGP with that style of cluster.

• 2 weeks later...

I'mn wondering too.... Cuz my 89 TGP is a late year 89 model and it has the same cluster the 90 had... Maybe there was only a few early 89 TGP's with the Digtial Cluster?

OR my TGP's 89 cluster has been swapped out for a 90 Cluster. Here's a clue.. On all the 88-89 GP (base,LE,SE) there was a E/M switch mounted under the wiper pod the switch the digital speedometer between the 2 modes. The switch was only used in that location on the 88-89 models. 90-93 models used the DIC to switch only when euipped with the DIC because the 90-93 Clusters were analog and didn't need the E/M switch unless they used the DIC.

Well my TGP's wiper pod has the E/M switch under the wiper pod ! Only reason I can think of it being there is the DIC E/M operation? If the OEM 89 TGP Cluster was indeed analog?

I don't know if it proves anything, but if you look at the Oct '87 issue of CarandDriver magazine on page 71, under the heading, "Comming soon to a dealership near you...maybe", there's a prototype McLaren TGP with the analog gauges. All of the '89 TGP's I've seen (maybe 8 or 10), had the analog cluster. I do believe the Eng/Met switch on the '89 was part of the HUD system also.

Guest Anonymous

I bought an '89 style headlight switch from Chris A. and it didn't have the trip button on it. That tells me the 89 it came from had analog gauges.

If there was an 89 with digi gauges and turbo gauge I want one.

I'm also interested in seeing in anyone has a cluster w/ a digi boost gauge from the factory. I believe I mentioned it to Dave before that in the article from hot rod magazine(I think that's what it's from as I only have the article pages and not the full mag) titled "bringing baby up on boost", the prototype/mule TGP that hotrod mag tested had a slightly different cluster(the surrounding headlight and wiper pods were different if I'm remembering right) then production TGP's have...it also had a few other noticeable differences. If I get a chance to borrow a friends scanner, I'll post pictures of the cluster from that article as well as pics showing the other differences in that TGP vs. production ones.

Ahhh Matt.. I bet that is were I saw the Digital Cluster!!!! :shock: 8)

Actually, I just took a look at the article again and the cluster shown is analog(boost gauge included) and identical to production ones from what I can tell(temp gauge is reading ~260* on it w/ the car off, I know it's off from 0rpm's on the tach :wink: ). The differences I can see are that the headlight pod is a bit different in appearance and has some other type of function directly below the cluster/interior dimmer, the extra whatever it is is actually part of the headlight pod. It also has a larger version of the hud dimmer attached to the headlight pod. The wiper pod is a bit different in appearance as well and looks to have a built in english/metric switch in the very bottom of it(I think the production cars have the switch mounted on a seperate piece attached to the wiper pod??????). Anyone have a shot of the area of a 89 TGP w/ the cassette and a shot of a 89 w/ cd? I think the setup pictured in the hotrod article might be unique as well.

They're identical for what it's worth. I have an 89 cluster in my STE and the low fuel light is smaller. Otherwise they're the same.