This is probably a dumb question ......

92gransport

..... but why is it necessary to remove the negative battery cable for repairs on these cars like replacing a headlight or taillight bulb or removing a door trim panel? Do you really need to do that just to replace a headlight or taillight bulb?

I think its just extra safety procautions just like wearing a helmet when riding a bicycle. You got that from a Haynes manual or something, right?

And NO, I never unplug it myself for most repairs.

I don't disconnect the battery for anything. I hate having to remember what radio preset went where. :lol:

I learned the hard way that you DO need to disconnect the battery to change the starter though. :lol: :dunce:

I don't disconnect the battery for anything. I hate having to remember what radio preset went where. :lol:

I learned the hard way that you DO need to disconnect the battery to change the starter though. :lol: :dunce:

And the alternator :lol:

I think its just extra safety procautions just like wearing a helmet when riding a bicycle. You got that from a Haynes manual or something, right?

Yeah, that's what I kinda figured - and .... yes .... I got that from a Haynes manual :roll: .

Thanks everyone for the responses, thought maybe I was loosing my mind on this one :yikes: !

:lol: Yep, you sure do - I learned the hard way myself when I was a teenager with my 1st car. You'd think the cable running directly to the starter would've given me a clue :lol: :bash:

And the alternator :lol:

I change the alternator without disconnecting the battery. I'm just real careful and I also stick a plastic bag around the hot wire once I have the alt off so it doesn't short against the plenum. That's a lot easier than pulling the airbox to disconnect the damn battery. :lol:

Yeah, what can I say, I'm a :dunce:

Yep, you sure do - I learned the hard way myself when I was a teenager with my 1st car. You'd think the cable running directly to the starter would've given me a clue

Oh, I saw the cable there and knew it was hot, but I thought, "hey, if I'm careful, maybe I can get it off and back on without shorting anything and then I won't have to set those damn presets". :lol:

Turns out I forgot about being careful and was happily swinging the ratchet wrench to remove a bolt when POP! Sparks flew, panic set in, and after that I had a flaming hot deep socket with a little notch melted into it and some burned fingers from trying to pick up the socket. :dunce:

It took me a long time to figure out why my fingers were tingling when I was screwing the power cable back on the the alternator after changing plugs. Then I realized that I forgot to disconnect negative cable on the battery.

I hate disconnecting my battery. It went dead and I had to boost it the other day cause I had my stereo on for several hours like 2 days in a row, without driving to charge the batt.

On my stereo I gotta:

1. Set the time

2. Set the color of the display

3. Set the color of the buttons

4. radio presets

5. Adjust the EQ (but its pretty good the way it is now without having to adjust) :)

Yeah its just a precaution they put in there to cover their ass. Kinda like how you read that your not supposed to drink bleach. Or chew on knifes. Or use your hairdryer in the bathtub. Or stick metal objects in electrical outlets.

I wiped out on my bicycle at work a couple weeks ago and smacked my melon on the concrete floor. :oops: Wear the helmet ! :yikes: Friggin' saw stars, had to go to work fitness, take a drug and blood alcohol test and my brain hurt for a week.......... Worst part is Human Resources Dept. made me get rid of the bike and get one of those industrial 3 wheelers ! :gone2far: At least it has black 7 spoke mag wheels. 8) :lol:

As far as disconnecting the battery cable to change a bulb ? Not in all the 32 years I've messed with cars.......... watch, I'll get electrocuted the next time I change a sidemarker bulb................ :roll:

whats bad is changing a top post battery and the wrench hits both pos and neg posts at the same time while tigtening them, that shit will make your hair stand :lol: