service manuals?

musthavemuzk

are they model and year specific?

with the work i have done on my 93 GP lately i have come to hate the haynes or chiltons ( i forget which one is with my car right now) not a whole lot of info or anything in it. at least not for what i have been tackling.

so i am curious if i can get a service manual tht covers multiple cars or are they model and year specific?

right now i have a 90 cutlass and a 93 GP.

so mayb something that covers the 1st gen of W's

thank you

Monty

are they model and year specific?

with the work i have done on my 93 GP lately i have come to hate the haynes or chiltons ( i forget which one is with my car right now) not a whole lot of info or anything in it. at least not for what i have been tackling.

so i am curious if i can get a service manual tht covers multiple cars or are they model and year specific?

right now i have a 90 cutlass and a 93 GP.

so mayb something that covers the 1st gen of W's

thank you

Monty

They're year specific and usually platform specific. Yea, the Haynes & Chiltons are pretty basic. In the past (pre-computer days), I've ordered them from http://www.helminc.com. They're usually around $90 there. Now I get them from eBay. From eBay, my '89 W manual was $12 ($90 from Helm) & the '96 W manual was $31 ($120 from Helm). You can't beat the wiring diagrams in the shop manuals.

• 2 years later...

I'm not sure if anyone has done this, but in my Starion/Conquest club we have the service manuals available for download from the site in PDF format. Somebody scanned the whole thing and posted it for all to use.

All you need are the books, and a volunteer with lots of time. BTW Helm still has the manual available for $62.50.

if you want to compromise.... a 92 (maybe 91 as well?) GP or CS manual will cover both E and non-E trannies, and the same 3.1 and 3.4 engines. Otherwise all most everything else is covered, except pinouts for car specific accessories...

if you want to compromise.... a 92 (maybe 91 as well?) GP or CS manual will cover both E and non-E trannies, and the same 3.1 and 3.4 engines. Otherwise all most everything else is covered, except pinouts for car specific accessories...

As long as whatever year is selected would cover the majority of cars, that would be great. The Starquest one was for the 88 model, but covered 85-89's. I'm not trying to start a monumental task for anyone, just wondering if anyone had thought of it or even had the info already. Compromise is always good, given we are starting from scratch.

I wonder if anyone has an office copier that will copy to a PDF or any file format for that matter? Make quick work of it that way. Only thing is the book has to be taken apart to use sheet feeder.