Questions about Keyless entry modual..

RedZMonte

I got my modual out and it looks like someone has tried to repair it before. the top of the board has solder on it. but at the same time there is some of the clear coat on top of some of the solder. i don't know if having solder on the top of the PCB is normal or if someone has tried to fix it before and failed..

My question is should i just fine another modual or send it to shawn to have him try and fix it. also does anyone know if the modual out of my 95 monte is the same. if so i don't need it with my aftermarket alarm so i might just snag it and put it in the TGP.

Shane

Guest TurboSedan
I got my modual out and it looks like someone has tried to repair it before. the top of the board has solder on it. but at the same time there is some of the clear coat on top of some of the solder. i don't know if having solder on the top of the PCB is normal or if someone has tried to fix it before and failed..

My question is should i just fine another modual or send it to shawn to have him try and fix it. also does anyone know if the modual out of my 95 monte is the same. if so i don't need it with my aftermarket alarm so i might just snag it and put it in the TGP.

Shane

i would try the RKE reciever from your Monte. i have used a '95 Monte remote with my car and it programs just fine. i have soldered mine 3 times now, but when i did it i just re-heated the solder joints. it would always work for about a month or two, and then i'd have to do it again. i've been meaning to try it again, and use solder and a bit of paste flux next time.

good luck

Better check the 95 Monte pinouts before putting it in the TGP. I seem to remember my friend's module had different pinouts and 2-connectors instead of 1. I think it was for the illuminated entry or whatever extra features the Monte's have.

If the clear crap is still on the top side, then I'd say it hasn't been touched.

I've had good luck dabbing paste flux on each solder joint and then just reheating. I only add solder when it looks like they didn't use enough solder in the first place. Using this method, I only had to initially resolder the module in the convertible once, and that was almost 2yrs ago.

Guest TurboSedan

well i have keyless entry again. it is always those two chips on the end of the circuit board that i have to re-solder. i used some paste flux and reheated the joints on one of them, but the other chip needed a small amount of solder on most of the joints. i had my brother help me - he added the solder while i worked the solder gun (it's alot easier with help!). paste flux seems to make the job of reheating the solder joints much easier, and the joints themselves look much better now.

keyless entry is really nice for pizza delivery, now i can easily lock my car when i deliver to hotels etc. hopefully it keeps working for more than a month this time :)