Variable Effort Steering?

WhiteOut

I know it was an option in 95', but is there any way to tell that you have it, perhaps an specific RPO code or something? I believe my car has every factory available option and according to the brochure it was standard on convertibles, but I'd still like to make sure.

I ask because my PS pump has been groaning recently and I'd like to know whether I have the variable effort system or not (its not noticable if I do), and does anyone know if you can replace it with the traditional setup if you do have it. And has anyone ever driven a GP and a Cutlass and know whether the GP had stiffer steering or not?

i think the steering the same feeling i had 89 gp with fe3 and have a 93 cutlas conv. now my pump likes to groan alot on mine too i think the pump is the same but am not positive

RPO is NV7.

Physically, you should be able to replace it with a conventional setup. Not sure if it'll trip a dash light or not, but you might be able to fake it out. I'd have to see a schematic to be sure.

Magnasteer reduces power assist at high speeds. That's basically all it does, you get more power assist at low speeds and less at high speeds. A lot of reviews I've read say it deadens the feel on the highway, so I don't know if Magnasteer is something I'd want or not.

Thats really interesting. I remember when they '97's came out, they really marketed this magnasteer really heavy. Funny it isn't ever really mentioned prior.

• 2 weeks later...

It definatly is nice when you are at low speeds. On the highway I think it is a little jerky for severe driving (too many power slides at 90-100). You will definatly appericate it when the pump goes out. That darn close ratio steering.