New guy needs some help.....

Abby87Z24

hello all this is one of my 1st posts here and i discovered this board through fluke... 1st off let me introduce myself. my name is Justin, and i drive a 1987 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24, i happened 2 pickup the turbo setup off of a friend for next to nothing..... here is my problem, i do not have the map sensor, TGP wiring harness or the vaccum solenoid that controls the wastegate... and am missing the vaccum lines..... so my question is.... is this solenoid absolutely nesscary or is there a way around this

NAH, you can replace the sol. with a zip tie. :shock: :lol: How do you not have a wiring harness for the MAP sensor? Am I missing something? What motor are you trying to turbo? I don't know nufin bout no cadavalier.

Just the connector for the MAP sensor is different. They are very similar looking, but the 1 & 2 Bar MAP sensors have different slots on the plugs that don't allow them to plug into one another. I would either get a 2 bar plug and solder it in place of your stock plug or modify the stock plug. I believe the colors are the same for both plugs(at least they were on my '90 Lumina).

You don't have to keep the stock boost control solenoid, but I would advise that you do as it allows the computer control of the boost. We have ~4 psi wastegate actuators and with the electronic solenoid it allows the computer to pull boost down to ~4 psi when there is detonation(it pulls timing as well). This makes for a very good way to ensure that you don't shatter a piston or something else from detonation. Now, you can put on a manual boost controller and there are some people here that have them. It's your choice what you want to do. :)

I thought that cavalier's couldn't use the stock x-over without tranny mount modifications? :?

Check out http://www.v6z24.com if you haven't already as there are a couple turbo cavalier guys over there that probably know what's needed more than us.

Guest TurboSedan

double poster!! lol just giving you a hard time :wink:

leave it unplugged, and use a grainger valve between a manifold vacuum source and the wastegate instead and set it to 9 psi, or set it just below whatever the ECM uses for boost cut.

i have never done it that way on a TGP engine, but that's how i do it with my GTS Turbo. i am going to try using a grainger valve with my TGP engine after the rebuild. i really don't know if leaving the wastegate solenoid unplugged will cause a fault code or what....

i would think that leaving the wastegate solenoid unplugged would let the computer think it was controlling it, but in reality the grainger valve would be controlling it pneumatically.

i think a 1-bar MAP sensor connector can be modified to work with a 2-bar MAP sensor. my 1-bar was green, and i think my 2-bar MAP is orange.

Did I double post? I wouldn't be surprised, you try typing w/ a 19 month old kid on your lap. :lol: He hit the enter button just after I clicked submit. Anyhow, I don't think the computer cares what the sol. does as long as when it sees too much boost it cuts fuel which isn't a property of the sol. just the computer.

Welcome

To get your 1 bar plug into a 2 bar map sensor all you have to do is slot the 1 bar plug posts with a dremel tool (use the little abrasive cutters) to match the 2 bar receptacle ( think you have to add two slots). Easy. :D

As for your selenoid wiring B on the solenoid goes to pin a18 on the ecm and a terminal goes to ign 10 amp fuse or any fused source if you have a

1227727 ecm.

Did you get the turbo memcal?

Jud

Guest TurboSedan
Did I double post? I wouldn't be surprised, you try typing w/ a 19 month old kid on your lap. :lol: He hit the enter button just after I clicked submit. Anyhow, I don't think the computer cares what the sol. does as long as when it sees too much boost it cuts fuel which isn't a property of the sol. just the computer.

lol not you Jay :)

http://www.w-body.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14839

i moved my replies over to this thread instead since it's TGP related :)

Anyhow, I don't think the computer cares what the sol. does as long as when it sees too much boost it cuts fuel which isn't a property of the sol. just the computer.

The ECM does not care what the Solenoid does. The ECM tells the Solenoid to pulse open...but does not look for a "handshake" that the solenoid is functioning... 8)

Yes you can...but not recommended. The TGP motors are very sensative to knock at high boost due to an already high compression ratio. Without ECM controlled you run the risk of serious detonation and engine damage... 8)

Guest TurboSedan
Yes you can...but not recommended. The TGP motors are very sensative to knock at high boost due to an already high compression ratio. Without ECM controlled you run the risk of serious detonation and engine damage... 8)

Kenny, would it really even be a problem if you just adjusted the g-valve at (or just below) stock boost level?

Guest TurboSedan
ok well is there any way to get that solenoid hooked up?

i think you can use a wiring harness from a car with digital EGR, then use the wires that go to the digital EGR for the wastegate solenoid (and use TGP style EGR).

hopefully someone here knows and will post....

Kenny, would it really even be a problem if you just adjusted the g-valve at (or just below) stock boost level?

Well, I don't know how all these different chips are tuned but one problem I see (only a tuning problem) is that when you give the car 15 psi. (for example) Hell, just 10 psi at 1800 rpm, and the person coding your chip didn't plan on it to have that much at that RPM, you're car is going to have to work like crazy to find fuel for it. (Which it probably won't be able to, but w/o a WB02, I can't say fer postitve how any of these chips are REALLY tuned.) You can feel it struggling. W/ a grainger valve, there is no boost ramping like in the stock an TG chips. It's just right here, right now. (because of our dime sized compressor) And after last night, I wouldn't suggest to anyone w/ an auto to use anything but a ramping (2 stage at least) boost controller.