A/C clutch bad or is it the pulley?

vdaily89

On my wife's 94 Olds Cutlass Supreme 3.1L SFI. Has been getting worse lately. It is a louding buzzing/humming noise coming from the pulley side of the engine. I believe it is either the A/C pulley or the clutch. Used to it would go away when the AC was turned on, but lately it won't. Checked this morning and when I turn the AC on, the air gets cold in the car but the clutch doesn't engage and the noise continues. Could the clutch going bad cause this kind of noise? Or could it be the pulley?

I replaced the idler pulley because a mechanic at the dealer that replaced the fuel pump a while back said that was the problem; it wasn't.

Any help with this would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Vince

Thanks. How hard is it to change out the clutch at home? I know there is a special tool to remove(& I guess reinstall) it. Just wondering if it is a pain in the a** to do.

Thanks again,

Vince

We never changed it.. we just got a shorter belt and bypassed it.. :lol:

I'm going to change it this summer. I'll have to look up in a service manual how to take it all apart. I'll get back to you.. lol.

kinda sounds like what that sound is on my car. damn, if anyone said pulley that would give me the opportunity to get me some FFD pulleys :D

It went away for a little bit, but then it came back. It was amazing hearing the engine noise and not that loud humming/whistling sound.now my muffler is louder, so icant hear it anymore

I'm thinking it's the pulley(bearings). How much of a pain to take off and replace? Shouldn't be bad, just curious about removal and installation of clutch.

Thanks again,

Vince

If you had asked me this a year ago- I would be more help but...

About a year ago my compressor went our (I think thats sort of what your referring to) it sounded terrible forever, the sound still haunts me. Anyways when they put on the new compressor it still made noise. They said something about a shim for it, maybe you should look into that. I don't know- it's been a while.

I believe there are shims between the clutch and the pulley itself that gives it the .020-.030 clearance talked about earlier. Don't know for sure.

It could be 1 of 5 things. I may just take it to a local shop and have them fix it. :x