Brake pad review

IL_pilot

OK, I put new pads in a few months ago on all 4 corners back in January. I've put about 8,000 miles on them since then (I drive a LOT, thank god for free gas at work)

Anyway, they were the Raybestos semi-metallics from Pepboys, and were about $45/set. I've been very pleased with their performance, decent stopping power, better than whatever crap pads were on there when I got the car. They do take a little warming up, but after a few good stops when it's really cold out, they're good to go.

There is ONE downside though. BOY are they dirty! I mean, these have got to be the WORST brake pads I've ever seen for dust. I've put roughly 400 miles this week since I last washed my tires and wheelcovers last Saturday, and they were BLACK in places it was so thick. I'll take some before and after pictures next week, but my God! They're like dust machines!

do they shake and vibrate?

I'd hope not...

i just mentioned that because every aftermarket ceramic or semi metallic pads i have had experience with have caused the car and brake pedal to vibrate and shake

i had the bosch ceramics, they work great. the only reason the car would shake and the pedal is if your brake pads didn't disapate the heat fast enough and the rotors warped

do they shake and vibrate

No, not yet anyway. The only problem I've had was two weeks ago when a front caliper bolt fell out!? Scared the shit outta me, with a loud thunking noise and a pulsing in the brake pedal.

Luckily I was 2 miles from work, and was able to find the problem quite quickly, and was able to replace the bolt with no problem. The guy at the junkyard didn't even charge me for the new bolt!

Since I replaced the rotors with cheapies though (front caliper had hung up at some point, wearing out the inner pad, while the outer was still fine, my first warning was a real bad grinding noise, and a 1/8" grove in the rotor...) it's only a matter of time me thinks before they warp, I've already got that bad squeaking sometimes when I stop.

i had the bosch ceramics, they work great. the only reason the car would shake and the pedal is if your brake pads didn't disapate the heat fast enough and the rotors warped

i got bosch ceramics and i hate them. my car shakes and vibrates, and the rotors arn't warped because they were replaced with the pads, and the shaking started after i put about 50 miles on the brakes

do your brakes grind? sometimes it feels like metal on metal when i hit the brakes.

i'd like some soft, old fashined asbestos pads