Brake cost

93CutlassSupreme

since i will be working full time over spring break, and because the 94+ rear brake conversion doesn't seem really technically demanding, i'm thinking about doing it

just a question for the people who have done it before --

how much did the new calipers and mounting brakets cost? i'm not putting brake parts from a junkyard on my car.

and, do you really have to straighten out the brake line? i'd like not to do that, as i tend to break delicate items

Guest Anonymous

I can't help on the prices as I used j/y parts that I cleaned up and refinished.

As for the brake line, it doesn't need straightened completely. Just tweaked enough to get it on.

I'd expect calipers to run around $75 per side, pads are another $40 for decent ones, two rotors at about $50 dollars a side, and the mounting brackets will likely have to come from a junkyard so your on your own there. Plust there's the whole parking brake thing, and since I've not researched the swap I have no idea whats needed there.

Guest TurboSedan

i got my '94+ rear calipers and caliper mounting brackets/bolts for only $10 from a j/y '95 Regal, and the new cheapo rotors only cost $22 and the set of new Raybestos pads were like $20 something. the '94+ e-brake cables were another $20 (took me about 2 hours to get those cables off of the donor '95 Regal). the rear brake upgrade has cost me less than $100.

yeah really thats one of the reasons i don't buy parts from junkyards, in michigan what you pay for a part at a junkyard, you'd be better off buying it new

WHY CAN'T WE PULL OUR OWN PARTS IN MICHIGAN?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? :evil:

HOLY SHIT!

THAT MUCH FOR BRACKETS? i guess i'll go to the junkyard

whats the problem, general motors, you need more money to add to your billions you already have?

thanks for the link

is there a way to tell if a caliper from a junkyard is any good?

junkyards here charge fucking high ass prices for the smallest shit, so it'd be nice to know if the part is any good before i buy it.

I got mine complete for $60-shipped from some junkyard in Michigan. Found them through some online recycler website a long time ago.

I cleaned them up and they work good as new.

I reused the pads that came on them, they had plenty of meat. I had to buy new rotors, I think they were $20/each.

You don't have to hammer the brake lines on a 93, I don't think. I think a 93's brake lines will fit as-is. At some point, maybe 90+, GM changed the rear brake lines. If your brake lines come out behind the strut and are all rubber, then you're set. If your brake lines come out in front of the strut and have a length of metal section, then you need to do some straightening like I did.

HOLY SHIT!

THAT MUCH FOR BRACKETS? i guess i'll go to the junkyard

whats the problem, general motors, you need more money to add to your billions you already have?

thanks for the link

Yeah, thats more like what I expected to hear. It should be okay to use junked ones though, you'll just have to clean them up some.

any of these yards happen to be remotely close to detroit? i haven't found any in the detroit area that let you do that

either that, or i'm blind