Auto BOV vac./boost hookup

god910

So where are you auto guys T'ing into the system for your BOV. My 5 sp. uses the nipple that the tranny uses, and (Obviously) it won't work. I got a "T" and some hose, but I can't move the metal line out enough (it hits the T-stat housing) to get the "T" in there. I know you guys will say, "Hey, dumbass, take the plug out of the upper intake!" Well, I have vac. brakes, so that spot is already claimed. Anyhelp is appreciated!!

I just thought, could I cut some of the metal line off (I REALLY don't want to, but if that's my only option) that goes down to the tranny? I could tee in there if that is my only feasible option.

I really don't think it would be a good idea to use the tranny modulator line as the vac/pressure source for a BOV. Those things (vac modulator) are sensative enough without a BOV taking vac/pressure from it. :shock:

There is a plug on the back of the upper intake plenum by the MAP sensor bracket that I would suggest you use as the source of vac/pressure for the BOV. From what I have read...you need to slightly grind down the sides of a 3/8" extension head and it will fit into the plug's square hole and you can get it out. Put in a nipple and wha lah a vac/pressure source for your BOV... 8)

any vaccume line will work. you can t off of the plastic line that goes to the map sensor. that is where i plugged my boost guage on my TGP and my L67 Lumina.

Shane

Guest TurboSedan

i use a McMaster Carr manifold distribution block for the boost gauge, 1g DSM BOV, MAP sensor, grainger valve, and fuel pressure regulator on my GTS. it's a nice way of simplifying everything, at least on the TD. i might try doing the same with my LG5.

joshua

"Hey, dumbass, take the plug out of the upper intake!" Well, I have vac. brakes, so that spot is already claimed.

Damnit KENNY!!! :lol: Read the post. :wink: Joshua, that is a mighty fine idea, but I'm trying to keep this think as stock as possible, and re-routing vac. lines is something I was keeping for the fast one. But, I guess I'll do what I have to. Thanks guys.

:oops: :oops: Damnit man!! I honestly didn't see that! You changed your post didn't you? You BASTARD!! :lol:

I still stand firm though that you should not use the Vac modulator line...just seems like a scarey thing to mess with. 8)

I tell you, auto or not, I don't like to hear my turbo SCREECH in pain every time I let off the gas. It's just downright evil. I'm gonna look into a block soon.

I had a thought!! :twisted: Drill a hole straight down through the top of the upper intake plenum. JB Weld a barbed nipple into the intake plenum and connect your BOV vac/boost line there. Here is the cool part....now drill a hole in the hood and run the BOV vac/boost hose across the top of the hood and then back down through the drivers side hood loover back down to the BOV mounted on the lower charge piping off the turbo!

You don't want to go down through the passengers side loover because: 1. You don't want the hose to be too long!

2. You don't want the hose to get caught in the serpintine belt...you could have a major leak if that happens!!

I would make it out of a Bright Blue Hose and then you can write "NAAAWS Supply" on the part going across the hood with a Black Sharpie marker!! 8)

Guest TurboSedan
I'm gonna look into a block soon.

Jay, check out the McMasterCarr website: http://www.mcmaster.com and then under 'Pipe, Tubing, Hose and Fittings' click on the 'manifolds' link. you can get distribution blocks with 2 thru 20 ports (as if you need that much).

left to right: source, FPR, MAP, plug, plug, BOV, boost controller (grainger valve), and vac/boost gauge on the end:

DSC00742.JPG

i have never really looked around on a TGP plenum for a place to mount a vacuum distribution block, but it would depend on which distribution block you get (length of block).

joshua

Guest Anonymous
I still stand firm though that you should not use the Vac modulator line...just seems like a scarey thing to mess with. 8)

Why not use that line? He has a 5-speed and that line isn't being used for anything.

That's okay turby, Kenny just CHOOSES what parts he's gonna read. :lol: And Josh, this maybe a silly question, but WHY is there SNOW all over your engine?? :lol:

Guest TurboSedan
And Josh, this maybe a silly question, but WHY is there SNOW all over your engine?? :lol:

that pic was taken after a bad snowstorm a couple months ago :) even with the hood shut, the dam wind gets snow and ice EVERYWHERE :evil:

Well, I ordered a 6 hole one:

ports/inlet/outlet/L/W/H On center/mounting holes

6 1/4" 1/8" 4 3/4" x 1" x 1" 3/4" 0.17"

Does that sound like the right one, it's 6061 Aluminum, and was like $16. If it's not right, then I'll figure it out somehow. Did you just goto a hardware store for the plugs and whatnot?

Guest TurboSedan

it looks like you got the same 6 port block. you can get the fittings for the vacuum hoses from McMaster Carr also. i have the McMaster-Carr reciept here:

6 outlet block:

PN # 5469 K151 - Aluminum Distribution Manifold, 6 Outlets, 1/4" NPT Inlet X 1/8" NPT Outlet $15.66

vacuum hose fittings:

PN# 91465 K11 - Push-On Brass Hose Fitting, Barbed X Male for 1/4" hose ID, 1/8" Pipe Size $6.18/10 pack

PN# 5346 K61 - Brass Hose Fitting, Barb X Male Pipe for 1/8" Hose ID, 1/8" Pipe $5.23/10 pack

PN#5346 K11 - Brass Hose Fitting, Barb X Male Pipe for 3/16" Hose ID, 1/8" Pipe $4.70/10 pack

EDIT: you can also get these vacuum hose fittings in 90' & 45' versions which might help for a cleaner install.

the 90' elbow used for the vacuum source (in the pic i posted), the male-to-male adapter between the 90' elbow and the vacuum block, the hex plugs, and the fitting for the boost gauge were all bought at the local NAPA.

And Josh, this maybe a silly question, but WHY is there SNOW all over your engine?? :lol:

Its the Cheapest Cold Air intake I ever seen... LOL!! Freeze it befor it gets to the motor...

Its the Cheapest Cold Air intake I ever seen... LOL!! Freeze it befor it gets to the motor...

not a CAI !

more of an intake charge cooler...

Guest TurboSedan

nah, my intercooler is just VERY effective :lol: