subframe bolts broke on me

no1kicker

While I was on the highway today all of a sudden my steering got weird. It felt like it walked on me and it was was out of alignment. I pulled over to see if the rack was ok and it was. It wasn't until I looked under the hood that I saw the engine was tilted. The rear pass side bolt had broken and the subframe is now hanging. Looks like it f'ed up the 2 upper mounts too.

My question is what to do next. I know there was a recall about the rusty bolts. Can I take it to Pontiac and tell them about the recall. Will they fix it free? If not I guess I'll have to get the bolts and do it myself, and then get an alignment.

bolts2.jpg

bolts3.jpg

bolts4.jpg

bolts5.jpg

bolts6.jpg

Man that engine needs a bath. :lol: there is a recal but I don't know if your state is covered. I would guess it is.

You shouldn't have to realign the front end if the frame was in the original place. If you need to align the sub frame repost and I'll see if I can find the post I just did explaining how to to that.

And yea that really sucks, If I were you I would get on my knees and thank god it wasen't the other side.

Jud

and i thought the underneath of my car was rusty? Why are a lot of the engine compartment parts rusted out on yours?

no1kicker

W-Body Enthusiast

One thing I love about living in Colorado...NO SALT!!

Yeah the engine needs some detail, but that's later. I called a few dealers today. One said they have no records for my vin. But the info I got off the nhtsa website says there is no expiration, and my vehicle is definately covered. Just not sure what to do. DO I bring the car and paperwork to them? I would like Pontiac to fix it cause it should be free and I think the steering rack separated for a second.

One thing I love about living in Colorado...NO SALT!!

But a shit ton of sand.. You should see all the new paint chips on the hood from the trip out to Colorado Springs. :( I'm wishing I would have held on to that bra now.

the pont dealerships around here wont cover my busted brake pedal switch OR the subframe bolts. Let us know what happens.

If you need sum help, you've got my cell #

-Jeff

I made an appt. with the local Pontiac dealer (the manager actually), then when I showed up to have them switched he got pissy and told me he wouldn't do it because they couldn't be sure if it had already been done. I called Pontiac Cares, talked with a rep, they said the recall was valid and he had to honor it, but still he wouldn't, so they were supposed to get back with me on this issue, but this was, oh, November, so I'm just gonna do it myself, and boy let me tell you, if those bolts break and make me wreck, Matthews Pontiac is gonna hear from my lawyer. :wink:

the pont dealerships around here wont cover my busted brake pedal switch OR the subframe bolts. Let us know what happens.

If you need sum help, you've got my cell #

-Jeff

Jeff, your subframe bolts were replaced now too long ago actually. I think Dan had them done like 6-8 months ago from a local Pontiac dealership. He had no problems having the work done either.

LOL well shit, good to know

Thanks.

-Jeff

I did your fuel pump too. Just imagine a warm summer night, side of the road in front of your house on the sandy road on your back with a fuel tank 3/4 full. NOT FUN. But done.

Called GM 1-800-762-2737 & they told me the recall started sometime in sept 2000 - Oct 2001, that's only 13 months, i just had the bolts replaced $700 later :roll: Is there anyway I can get refunded, the guy on the other end said too bad! What can I do about this?!

Thanx

Brian

I got my car back yesterday. The dealer replaced the bolts and realigned the steering for free. I'm happy to get the car back since all I saw this weekend was ricers, and I was driving a minivan. Oh well, anyone who hasn't done this, replace your bolts when you get a chance. It will only take an hour at most and the parts are under $20 I think.

The only thing that wasn't fixed were teh upper mounts. The bushings got pulled out when the motor fell. I told the dealer not to worry about it since I have extras. Since they're falling apart, I'm going to try to put poly ones in there.