GM computer replacement...%$#*&!!!!

SantaCruzTGP

So, I got tired of checking everything and finding it to be ok. I towed the TGP into Pontiac just an hour ago, they called and said the computer is fried. It won't connect to their computer. Anybody replaced one of these, they are quoting me 598.00 parts and labor. Just like everybody said bam, get prepped for some big $$$$. They think it's my problem.

-Jeromy

fuck that $600. Go to a junk yard, get a spare ECM, then get a TGP Memcal from the dealership, or even from Jeff M, then install it yourself. So simple

:!: Don't do it! (my opinion)

If it's the ecm, find one and do it yourself. It's an easy replacement and you can probably find one cheap.

So, I got tired of checking everything and finding it to be ok. I towed the TGP into Pontiac just an hour ago, they called and said the computer is fried. It won't connect to their computer. Anybody replaced one of these, they are quoting me 598.00 parts and labor. Just like everybody said bam, get prepped for some big $$$$. They think it's my problem.

-Jeromy

Yea, if someone is limber enough and wants to take it that way :lol: , but what was already said here, do it yourself, you did a pipe, and an ECM swap is nothing as compared to that!!! Get a new ECM, why get old other than to use to troubleshoot for sure that is the problem, hoping the junk yard one is good to test with :?: , but GMs ECM at jobbers price is around $160 (maybe less as said here, if rebuilt) so far cry from what they are charging you, just wish you had more patience, we are all working here to help you and we know our shit as I said better than most dealers, but once it's cost you to take it to the dealer, you are a little stuck so its now up to you, but don’t blame the 14 year old Grand Prix for having some problems, you never answered if the you just got this and/or the original owner had any issues like this??? I have been waiting for 5 years to get to finish one of my TGPs, but I spend too much time doing help mainly in emails getting other TGP owners going, and making what I can for performance and better build parts, and over 2 years waiting on my TSTE, 4 years on my truck, so no sympathy for you waiting just a few days :roll: Borg Warner also offers the same ECM for about the same cost, just don’t get a CarDone ECM, seen too many and are NOT well done!!! Swapping is simple pull one plug at a time and swap over to the other ECM, just don’t rush it and go breaking all the connector tabs.

Jeff M

Hey again, so I got the car off this guy who had it sitting up in the mountains. It had a PNO, and carfax came up superclean. The car didn't run correct when I got it, just the original problems that everybody has helped me with here on the forum. So, with it sitting for as long as it did, over a year, I expected it to have some serious problems. The car itself, cosmetically is in great shape, never in an accident, no tears or rips in the leather, only thing that's bad is the engine. With that fixed I should be a happy camper, let's just say with the new computer being a fucking rip-off from Pontiac, it will add to the value of the car in my eyes, plus it will give the car some official paper work from Pontiac which I have nothing. With all that said, including all the parts from Jeff, the cost of the car and the upcoming charges from pontiac close to 800 bucks, I'm still way under the 2k investment mark...If I were to buy this car, I would easily think 5K +++++

Just to add, If I could I would! I mean, the closest junk yard from me is like 45 miles away, I guess I could ride my bike there .

I'm hoping that the computer is the fix, and all my troubles will go away.... :D

BTW, Jeff the old xoverpipe is on it's way back to you.

Take your car away from GM. Those numbnuts are using a TECH II to connect to your computer and that does not support your PCM. Anyone with half a brain can figure that out. They need to use the TECH I (Probably does not exist at the dealerships anymore). IF your PCM is fried the engine would never even start. It would not run rough.

Adam S.

Not necessarily dude, my ECM went in the first 3 months of me owning my car, and it would run, ran rough, blew black smoke, and stalled and refused to start. I hope this guy doesn't go to the dealer, I paid $325, $600 is really steep!

$600 is insane for that ECM!! Seriously, go to the junk yard, and grab one. Change the chip(yours may still be good), or get a Jeff M(you'll do it eventually anyhow). Paying that much just to have a piece of paper from Pontiac is nuts. Besides, this way if it turns out not to be the problem, you'll be out a lot less money