Engine painting project ?

TeeJay3800

Maybe this belongs in Powertrain, I'm not sure.

I need to know what kind of paint to use on the motor (plenum, valve covers, etc.). Type of paint and the kind of prep I will need to do is what I'm looking for. I need this to last for several years.

What do you guys recommend? (color suggestions or pics welcome) :)

(here's the motor as is looks now: http://homepages.wmich.edu/~t0dykstr/carpics/motor)

I know Checker sells "Engine Enamel".. Can withsatnd 400+ degrees I think.. As for colors, what color is your car? I am doing flat black w/ gloss red accents :D

As for colors, what color is your car?

Apparently you missed the big white thing in my signature :lol:

I've heard Testors model paint works well. Is this true?

Also, should I sand the aluminum first and what kind of primer, if any, should be used? Regular automotive sandable primer?

As for colors, what color is your car?

Apparently you missed the big white thing in my signature :lol:

the only thing big and white I see in your signature is the "Oldsmobile Motorsports" logo :roll:

I honestly don't know what's going on guys, the Olds Motorsports thing I took down several days ago. There should be a profile shot of my car. Hopefully its working now. :x

I honestly don't know what's going on guys, the Olds Motorsports thing I took down several days ago. There should be a profile shot of my car. Hopefully its working now. :x

nope....still the logo, you should use a different file name for the new sig, the old sig is probably cached if you used the same url for the new sig pic....

Clean any surface good with degreaser of some sort, maybe a light sanding, regular old primer if you want might be a good idea. The sky is the limit as far as colors go. What color is your interior? Anything else on the car you might want to match?

You can see the color of my car in the sig...

heres my engine (for now anyways). The bars are not orange.. the camera I used sucks.

car_dec9_023.JPG

The interior is "medium slate grey." I was thinking of doing a red-white-black combination.

I'll just use high-temp engine paint I guess, but I still don't know what kind of primer to use. I'm afraid regular automotive primer won't stand up to the heat. :?

Sorry! I didnt see the Olds.. I saw The motorsprts ine, otherwiae I wouldnt have asked.. Well, Id go w/ a dark base color that would look good against your car, then accent it w/ white to match the body.. Good luck, and sorry for the confusion! :)

Read the directions on the pain can, i believe it says something about after you paint, you should expose it to the heat it will be exposed to all the time for it to cure properly to fend off the heat.

Will regular primer stick to the plenum and stand up to the heat?

I've got quite a few things painted on my Volvo 740 turbo and I used a standard rattle can primer on my valve cover, intercooler hard pipes, etc.. still holding up nicely. I used Duplicolor engine enamel spray paint on them along w/ the duplicolor high-heat(engine paint) clear. No problems w/ it peeling/flaking, it's all been painted since early January this year.

Alright, sweet! Looks like I have a project!

Now I just need some more color combination suggestions. What would look the best and be somewhat unique?

Red white and blue. Put a flag on your airbox.

How good is the Duplicolor as far as duribility (scratches from putting tools etc on it)? My cheap engine paint scrapes easy.

I've got Duplicolor wheel paint/clearcoat and its awsome.. after 2 years it still looks great when its clean.

:dammit: Don't hijack my thread please! I'm trying to get color suggetions from as many peeps as I can.

PMing him would work just fine if you wanted to ask about Duplicolor.

:dammit: Don't hijack my thread please! I'm trying to get color suggetions from as many peeps as I can.

It IS about engine paint.. I don't see how its hijacking your thread. You DO want good paint right?

It IS about engine paint.. I don't see how its hijacking your thread. You DO want good paint right?

I thought we had established what kind of paint to use. He already said Duplicolor looks good and has held up well. I'm really just interested in colors now. But thanks for your concern! :D