Clear taillights for a GP???

1RedGP

Has anyone made or created clear tail lights for a grand prix? (89-96) I have the checkered ones, but I'n guessing you'd have to use the un-checkered tails. Maybe not though. Any info. would be great. Pics would be awesome. Thanks

I agree 100%. I think that the stock SE/TGP style lights are one of the coolest sexiest designs ever, period. I'd never want to mess with mine.

I wouldn't mind replacing the amber with clear also, but the only way I've seen it done is replacing it with fluorescent light fixture lens material. That looks ghetto too, IMO. I would only replace it if you can get an exact duplicate cast in clear.

I had cleared 2 door lights on my car for a bit. I put the regular ones back on and now I think it looks better. But I think the clear ones look good on some cars, and like crap on others. It's easy to do so it's just preference.

Well, it just so happens that we might have to make a new run of these taillights. My new supervisor and I have been trying to find some, and have had no luck, which means if I get buddy buddy w/ the service guys I could have the yellow turn lenses cast clear. It will take a small miracle, and if they are already made it's a no go, but I might be able to get some clear lenses made if we want to replace them ourselves. Either way, I'm getting new lights.

P.S. Shawn, I talked to him about the clears for your truck, and he said the only way it is possible is when your truck goes to service. I HAVEN'T FORGOTTEN ABOUT CHA!!! :lol: They can't do a material change w/o a mold/die change first. (IE. If they HAPPEN to run a clear light on the particular machine then switch to your lens, it could be done. It just not that way though. :x So, when it goes to service, I might be able to talk the guys into running some clears. GO UAW!!!)

P.P.S It's VERY illegal (as I hope you know) to just remove the lenses from the housings. I do however plan on doing this to a set of lenses (my spare old ones, once I get the new ones) I personally think they would look flat awesome on a black car, and no other color. It's illegal because the lenses refract/diffuse the light to make them visible from a much further distance, and different driving conditions (rain, fog, etc.) We have a whole division of management (photometrics) that there job is to make sure that the re-flex as we call it, is diffusing light correctly. It is the MAIN thing the DOT requires to place a DOT approval number on the part.

I'm not a big fan of clear tails, but I think that the GP checkered tails in clear would look alright...probably as good as or better than the non-checkered.

P.S. Shawn, I talked to him about the clears for your truck, and he said the only way it is possible is when your truck goes to service. I HAVEN'T FORGOTTEN ABOUT CHA!!!

Heheh, I had been wondering if you'd forgotten or not! Glad to see you've got a good memory. :)

What exactly does it meen to go to service?

Ok...now I understand the procedure. Just not sure how you cut the lighting material to match the curve in the light.

Scroll saw, band saw, jig saw, hack saw, rotary tool... any kind of cutting tool could probably be made to work. If there are curves, you can use a heat gun to heat it up so that it becomes bendy.

i remember way back when luke had his Z34 he had the inside of the lens sandblasted to hide the bulbs on his front corners.. maybe you could do that with your turn signals and use colored bulbs and still keep the red taillights as such

he's talking about these.. :)

337703_107_full.jpg

337703_105_full.jpg

337703_2_full.jpg

sorry the best I got

I agree with you guys, the complete clearing looks damn ghetto, thats why I went this route instead. I like the turnout

white+tailight.jpg?phJzFdABdmQpKMrW

i dont think these look gheto at all. the ones with just the plain bulb might not be legal because there is no reflector in the light. i used cone shaped trailer lights on mine and painted the inside the body color.

That's how I did my tails with the red cone trailer lights. The blinkers have only bulbs and paint on the inside of that area to make it say Grand Prix when the blinkers are on. When they do blink you can't really tell it's just a bulb with no cover because of where the paint is. The background is chrome paint.

What exactly does it meen to go to service?

That means there not currently in production anymore. The typical life of a lamp is about 4-5 years. After that it goes to our service dept. where a select group of people make only what is required to send to dealerships to sell to body shops, for repair mainly.

An idea I would like to let you all know about, if you ever go and buy a "new" tailight from a d-ship, REALLY look at it. Alot of the parts that feed the service industry are second hand parts that weren't good enough for production. There WILL be a flaw, I suggest making sure it's an acceptable flaw. (Some are not)