PLEASE HELP!! Need a Detent (tv) cable 1990 ste!

turbostewhite

I am NOT going to be raked over GM's coals to the tune of $180.00 for a lousy tv cable, so I am calling out to my W body friends for assistance.

If anyone can locate one, has one for sale, has a used one in good shape for sale, PLEASE email or post me...I am this close to finishing my ste, after a $750.00 transaxle rebuild I am getting a bit anxious to put this thing together and run it for the first time in almost 2 years.

Thanks, Marc

Well, I know all the original cable are still in Black Sunshine from the 5 speed swap, I'll have to take a look and see what condition it's in, and if I can get it out or not.

Stupid Auto's (again) :lol: The detent cable is the one that actually enters the tranny right? I have it, but it's not in that great shape, in quite a few places the sheathing is cut and there is cable showing. I still don't know how easy it will be to get out (it still runs into the car, and I have NO idea what it looks like on the other end) He told me he left the cables in there just incase the manual swap didn't go so well. :lol: Seems like he needed more faith in himself.

Yeh, that kinda sucks, but thanks for looking...the one i have now is cut like yours, so i guess i'm back to square one.

Thanks again for trying.

Marc

• 2 weeks later...

How hard is this to get out and stuff. I know there is that 91 STE by my house in a junkyard (1 row away from getting crushed). So was just wondering what all was involved with it....

Brian,

Thanks for the message, however, only 1989- 1990 ste's had a turbo and the 440-t4 transaxle, thus the speciality of this particular detent cable. It's specially designed for a high-heat application (as far as i can tell)...I have seen one on my 1990 Euro (3.1, 440-t4) that is almost the same, the main difference is that the one i need is mostly metal while the standard aftermarket tv cables are plastic. I assume it's close proximity to the turbo assy. neccessitates it being highly heat resistant.

I am going to try and find a oem one like in my Lumina, it's got a metal base/heat shield thing and looks like it's a good bet, plus it's a whole lot cheaper. I might also try heat tape or a heat shield of some sort.

Anyone else have any input on this idea? Anyone tried the standard oem metal cable? Am I right about the only difference being the material it's constructed from? Jeff M. want to chime in on this one??

Thanks again,

Marc

Both of my detent cables on my '89 TGPs were both just plastic on the outside. When I decided to finally get rid of my parts car(my first TGP was very badly beaten, the worst car I've ever owned and that's including my '80 CJ5 that's mostly rust :roll: ). Anyways, my friend had a '90 Euro Lumina(blown engine) that I swapped the engine/tranny into. I used all of the throttle cables from the lumina and I used the Lumina detent cable because it had a metal shield that went around the part that bolted to the tranny. Just some food for thought. :P :D

Yeh, GM dealership wants about $180, gmparts direct wants like 130 plus shipping...i am currently looking for the lumina one with the shield, which my euro has on it now, just don't wanna take it off to make the ste happy...plus the cables stretch over time and want a new one for the fresh tranny rebuild.

Thanks for all the input, guys...

Marc