Grand Prix Gauge Cluster Pinouts

Robby1870

I need the gauge cluster pinouts for 88-93 GP clusters, base and full analog guages. I had these at one time, I think, but cant find them now. I remeber Justin (92turboLE), said he swapped his base cluster out for the full analog cluster and the only thing that didnt work was teh oil psi, b/c he didt have the right sender. But, I know other Ws arent a direct swap like this, so Im kinda leary to plugging in the full analog cluster. If someone has the GP pinouts for base and full gauges, I really need them. Also, how does the odometer come out? I need to swap odometers from the clusters. Thanks

EDIT: Also, if anyone knows how to take the cluster apart, like take the needles off and the circuit board, that'd be helpful too

Back when I had an 85 GA, I swapped out the dorky "Backwards L" cluster to one from an 89SE. When I got the new cluster from the boneyard, I hacked off the harness from the donor car and left an inch or so of wire so I could see which wires went where. Anyways, I went to my local public library and searched in one of the automotive manuals (Jacobs or Helm, I don't exactly recall.) The manual had all of the schematics I needed for both clusters, and was a tremendous help seeing as some of the wires on the newer cluster had different colors than the 85's did (VSS on the 85 was the same color as the temp gauge wire on the 89 IIRC.) When I swapped clusters, the odometers weren't identical, so I took out the one on the 89 and rolled it forward to match my old one.

I also did a cluster swap on my 92 LeSabre with a 95, they were identical except for the overlays. IIRC, the odometer simply unbolted from the cluster and unplugged from the circuit board. Since the clusters were the same behind the overlays, the odometers swapped over perfectly...

Hope my long-winded story helps!

only problem is my town is pretty small, so the public library doesnt have nice books like that, otherwise I'd have tried to buy them buy now :D

TTT. Anyone know how to take the gauge needles off to get the front cover off? Or take the cluster apart in general? I really need to swap odometers. My car is 97xxx on it and the new cluster reads 200012! TIA

EDIT: I found the pinouts

ok, I did the swap a few months ago on my car, its even got the tach wire built in already. All I need to do still is change the sender.

taking apart the cluster is really easy,

1)unscrew the black cover (torx)

2)unscrew the screws on the right side of the board

3)then gently pry the whole board to remove it from the gauges

4) then to take out the odometer just unscrew 3 torx screws

Well, it doesnt matter anymore. I plugged the full guage cluster in and since it was from a 5spd, the speedo just pegs out, the tach reads high (I have an aftermarket tach), and the oil psi guage pegs out (which I knew would happen). So, I'll just swap it over when I swap the 5spd over. Thanks anyway guys