STRANGE noise when steering...

gmrulz4u

When I turn my 89 Supreme's steering wheel left, I can hear and kind of feel what sounds like a spring snapping or something...it's really weird...I know what it sounds like when ball joinys, wheel bearings and CV joints are bad, and this is NOT it. This is something totally different...

I wish I could explain the noises better...but it's just too hard...it's just like creeking and cracking and boingy and just weird!! :lol:

Please someone tell me what is going on here...

Off the top of my head, I'd say maybe the upper strut bearing. Also, when your struts themselves are shot, they make a wierd clunking sound. The rubber insulators that go between the strut and spring can cause creaking or clunking when they're worn. I know this might sound redundant, but have you checked to see if your lugnuts are tight? Just my $.02

I agree with Disco Stu (opps.. I mean DiscoStudd :) )

My car needs new struts all the way around, and makes creaking noises (especially when I jack it up! :shock: )

Does it make the noises in park?

I'll check tonight to see if it makes any noises in park...I've replaced both front strut bearings and both rear struts with KYB's...I guess maybe I have to replace the front struts themselves or springs etc.?

If it makes a type of squeak noise from one corner or another, have the struts looked at.. I am having this fixed on thurs. myslef. The wheels shake and all that.. It squeals turning only left in park.. Or if Im not moving.. I cant wait, lol