What manual tranny is in a 1988 supreme?

topless94style

I found one locally for sale, the cutty, for $650, I want to jump on it and pull the tranny and possibly do the swap into my car. Would this work??

Also, would there be anyone interested in the entire car w/o tranny or parts on this car? I may go for it, but it will delay my turbo project which was planned to be done by the end of this month, early May. I have about that much left to spend on the turbo, and if i buy that car, then the turbo project would have to wait. Hmmm.....

Guest TurboSedan
I found one locally for sale, the cutty, for $650, I want to jump on it and pull the tranny and possibly do the swap into my car. Would this work??

yes but your speedometer will probably be way off.

joshua

Guest TurboSedan

i have an '88 282 in my car :) the '88 Getrag 282 has more 'teeth' on the exciter ring inside the transmission, which gives the VSS more pulses per mile. i also have an '89 282 and a blown '90 282 in my garage, and the speedo exciter rings inside those trannys definately have less teeth. you can see the exciter ring if you just pull the VSS out. when i had the '90 282 in my car the speedo was spot-on perfect, but after i installed the '88 282 the speedo reads about 11% too fast. this could probably be fixed by either swapping in the right exciter ring during a transmission overhaul, or editing the speedo function in the chip maybe.

joshua

Which explains why my HUD reads fast all the time.. I'll be damned. (My 5 speed is from an 88)

The HUD and speedo used to be read exactly the same (still fast), until I fried an IC on the rear of the gauge cluster. I replaced the rear board with one from a 89 TGP and now the speedometer gauge reads almost dead on, but the HUD is still off. I had to find the local PD's digital speed readout speed trap one day to test it.. Gauge showed 21 mph, radar read 20, I was pretty excited, no more guessing speeds!

Oh, I wouldn't recommend putting a 282 behind the DOHC. Not too sure how it would like revving to 7 grand. I'm sure there was a reason the 284 was made for the DOHC motor.. :wink:

Guest TurboSedan

that's wierd that they read differently - doesn't the HUD and speedometer get its signal from the same place? my HUD/speedo read exactly the same always but then again i installed the HUD myself and it's spliced directly into the instrument cluster wires.

i drove by one of those digital speed trap things the other day. when my speedo read 33mph, the speed trap thing displayed 29mph.

joshua

They do get their signal from the same place. But the problem is, that most TGP clusters develop an increased speed reading in the speedo gauge over time. Supposedly this is caused from a resistor that can be replaced, but this one happens to be reading JUST fast enough that it reads almost perfect!

Guest TurboSedan

hmmm maybe Jay (god910) would know how to fix the problem by editing the chip? i'm pretty sure he has the .bin file on hand. if the 282 in his car came from an '88 car, i would be surprised if he isn't having the same problem we are. it will be a long time before i am anywhere near where he is as far as EPROM editing/burning goes. i don't even have any equiptment yet nor do i even have a PC to run the GMPCM software :?

i have thought about swapping my '88 282 out for my '89 282 to fix the problem, but since i'm going to need a custom EPROM for my 3.1 Turbo/5-speed combo anyway, i'll just try to address this problem when the time comes to burn/edit my own EPROM (which will likely be exactly like your EPROM). i wish i had an EPROM/memcal exactly like yours right now - i am going to need a PC, PP2, GMPCM software, a modified 34-pin wire wrap protected header adapter, and a UV eraser before i can burn my own :(

joshua