Parking brake cables

mihela816

I did my rear brakes last week, and i was able to put the drivers side parking brake cable on, but the passenger side's is different, it has that spring, and the cylinder on the end. The spring was too tight to get the cable onto the lever. Is there a trick to it? Anyone run into this problem before?

Guest TurboSedan
I did my rear brakes last week, and i was able to put the drivers side parking brake cable on, but the passenger side's is different, it has that spring, and the cylinder on the end. The spring was too tight to get the cable onto the lever. Is there a trick to it? Anyone run into this problem before?

i haven't gotten mine to work yet. some people have gotten the existing parking brake cables to work but i'm not sure what they did exactly. other people use '94+ parking brake cables, but you have to weld a bracket onto the frame in front of the rear drivers-side wheel. it can simply be spotwelded on and shouldn't be a big problem. pulling '94+ parking brake cables from a donor car can be quite a PITA tho since you need to pry the bracket from the frame in order to get the cables off the car (took me like 2hrs). Chris A has a write-up on his page about how to get '94+ parking brake cables to work. http://www.turbogpgarage.com (his page does not seem to be working at the moment?)

hth

joshua

Mine needs adjusted too.

The rear drivers side P-brake cable keeps popping off of the caliper, so it leaves me with only the passenger side parking brake working.. Which isn't always a good thing.

I had it fixed for about a week, but it popped off again, and it's really getting annoying.

Good luck, these parking brakes are kind of a pain to adjust correctly.

It does suck to do but it can be done with alot of effort. If you can get another person to help it would be much easier. I was alone and used two pliers. One regular, to pull the end back towards the rear of the car to hook into the slot, and another bent needle nose to pull back on the spring compressing it (towards the front of the car). It took about ten tries before I got it. Best luck. Try to think good thoughts instead of swearing. Believe it or not...it makes a difference.

I used to have to help my Dad fix the car and I hated it. All he ever did was cuss and swear. I made a pack long long ago to never get mad while working on my cars. It's been working for 24 years or so. I'm 42.

Oh, he bought Fords :lol: Many of em. I've never owned a Ford yet. Though I'd have to bite on a 69 to 73 Mustang.

Sorry for the non topic stuff. Working alone tonight. :wink:

No tricks ... had the same problem took hour and a half to get on , driver side 5 minutes :roll: . I kept pushing the spring back up the cable till I got just a little cable showing then used a screwdriver to encourage it :twisted: onto the lever. Help would be better more hands to pull the spring back then other pull cable to get it on the lever.