Got NEW wheels, and now there's a NOISE??

gmrulz4u

Yesterday I got 4 New(well, completely refinished and looking better than New) Cutlass International rims installed on my 89 Cutlass. I have need New rims for a LONG time because my old International ones looked like total crap. I looked at a lot of aftermarket ones but none really got me excited. So I decided to do this wheel exchange program where you give them your old rims and they give you an equal amount of completely refinished ones. They look so awsome!

Anyways, now for the sad part. I haven't had a time to call or go back to the place that put them on, so I thought I'd ask you guys first.

The rear-passenger area is making a noticable KNOCKing sound. It's most noticable at slower speeds usually right after starting to accelerate. It almost sounds like someone banging their knuckles on the trunk. Sometimes it's louder than others, and sometimes it's completely silent. Like this morning, it made no noise until I was half way to work, about 10 minutes after driving. Then it started....knock, knock, knock, knock etc...

Before I had the New rims installed there was absolutely NO noise at all. I don't see how simply installing different(but the same) wheels could this happen? Is it possible that over or under tightening something could cause this? I just want to know something before I call them because I don't want them to try and say that it couldn't have been because of them...

THANKS!:)

Yep, check the lugs. I took my wheels off once to clean them, put them back on. Aparantly i didn't snug up the drivers wheel enough and it caused a knocking sound. I stopped, tightened them up, and it fixed the problem.

My Cougar used to have a loose suspension piece that swung back and forth and smacked the wheel under coasting (no pedals pressed) conditions...it's probably not that, but hey, just a thought.

could there be a slight clearance issue with the rear calipur and the rim on that side?

As long as he's using factory rims I don't think that should be a problem. I'd almost guarantee they left the lugs loose, take it back and have them make sure the dished part of the rim where the lug seats didn't get mangled, if it was loose long enough the rim is probably fuckered.

Well I am in London, Ontario and the company that they got the rims from was in Sarnia, Ontario.

I didn't get the name of the company though.

It's an awsome idea of a program and I had no idea it existed up until recently. The place I bought them from here in London said they only do the rim exchange program about 5 or 6 times a year, so it's not the most popular thing.

He also told me that the company in Sarnia charges them a $300/rim Core Charge because they desperately want and need the old rims back, so that they can refinish them and sell them again.

:)

One other thing, the cost. They were $180/rim CDN, which is about $135/rim US. Not bad considering if I wanted my OEM rims brand-new, looking as good as these, it would have cost probably $600/rim or more.

They even put that sticker that says "OLDSMOBILE" in black on each rim which was surprising as for some reason I didn't think they would.

The only thing that I was worried about at first was the fact that I couldn't get new Center Caps. But lastnight I bought some Dupli-Color Steel Wheel Paint and washed, sanded, and spray painted them along with all 20 of my lug-nut covers. I looked at them this morning and they look SWEET!! So now I'm happy!:)