Steering column swap

gp90se

Thursday im running 2 the junkyard 2 get a column for the TGP, prolly get 1 outta a lumina (so many parts cars)

Problem is, its going 2 be raining, so id like to do it as quick as I can. Just want to see if there is anything I am missing:

4 bolts on the firewall, 1 on the steering rack and 2 harness plugs.

If there is a write-up I am missing or someone has tips, id appreciate it.

-Jeff

Guest TurboSedan

just wanted to add that the 4 bolts holding the column in are 13mm. i think the small nut holding the harness plug in is 7mm, and the pinch bolt at the very end of the column near the floor should be 11mm. it is much easier to access that pinch bolt if you cut some of that grey rubber stuff away :) make sure you have a friend helping you install it or it will be a major PITA. it is an easy job if you have a friend help.

i'm using a Lumina column and it works great. i still need to swap my Olds steering wheel back on - the bowtie emblem looks kinda funny in an Oldsmobile :P

joshua

Guest TurboSedan

oh yeah! i just remembered - i think the Grand Prix uses a different turn signal switch than the other W-bodies....so i would try to get a column from another Grand Prix if you want the turn signals to work. Shawn Lin would know - i think he is the one that mentioned it in an earlier thread.

swapping in a new/different turn signal looked like a total PITA to me. i was going to remove & keep the turn signal switch in my old steering column - but after looking at it i couldn't figure it out so i threw it away along with the column.

joshua

My TGP column is an absolute mess, the pins for holding the column up and down are busted, the plasic around the column is missing, and it looks awful.

since the price is right, ill take any column I can get my hands on for now, and find 1 with radio controls later when the get more cars in.

-Jeff

EDIT: the luminas plugs are different then the gps. ugh lol any1 know what columns will plug in other the GPs, they dont have many.

Guest TurboSedan
My TGP column is an absolute mess, the pins for holding the column up and down are busted, the plasic around the column is missing, and it looks awful.

since the price is right, ill take any column I can get my hands on for now, and find 1 with radio controls later when the get more cars in.

-Jeff

i hear ya there. mine was broken in the same way and the steering wheel would just flop up and down (broken tilt). the turn signal switch was also beyond repair and parts of the plastic cover were cracked. i actually drove it that way for a month or so. it sucked.

hopefully you can swap in the right turn signal switch without too much problem (if it is in fact needed).

joshua