Turn Signal Switch-92 GP SE

Tim

After many years of my turn signal switch intermittantly burning and smoking it finally bit the dust last week. This weekend I decided to attempt cleaning it (per several much earlier posts on this board) as a new one is approx $100 at autozone and $175 from GM.

For the knowledge base:

I pried the steering wheel audio controls out with a pocket knife and removed the steering wheel with a $7.51 puller from Kragen. I could tell right away that the switch contacts were definitiely burned. Since the wiring harness for the switch routed down the steering column I deciced to clean and service the switch contacts with the switch assembly in place. I used a 3/4 inch wide piece of emory cloth slid down between the switch contacts to provide a new contact surface on both the left turn and right turn switch positions, by actuating the turn signal lever. I then used a similar size piece of thin cardboard soaked with WD-40 and the same procedure to lubricate the contacts. I removed a piece of debris that I believe was causing the switch to burn and smoke from the beginning. Reassembled and life is good so far. I will post any changes.

Tim

good deal...i need to do that too, but with airbags i want ot get it done right the first time. im getting another switch off of a GTP just in case cleaning mine doesnt fix it.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, here's an update. The turn signal switch worked for about a week after cleaning. Originally I had to hold the lever down for left turn and now I must hold the lever up for right turn. Looks like I need to replace the switch...about $100 at autozone but I'm going to check NAPA too.

Tim

gmpartsdirect.com has these prices

GM

Part # 1997062 w/o Information Center $78.08

Part # 1995967 w/Information Center $32.49

Do you have the IC or no?

zap them an email from there website....

give them you VIN and info and what you need..

They will get back to you within a day or so...with your GM part number

just to be sure