Interesting ABS problem.

GPRACER

Okay, last night I started my car ('95 GPSE) and the ABS and red brake warning lamp came on and stayed on. No physical brake problems. I scanned it this morning and the code was C0051, rear ABS pump motor free spinning. Removed the air box, removed the plastic cover under the ABS brake pressure modulator valve mounted to the master cyl. I found the center ABS gear loose (there are three, the middle is for the rear). the nuts have a tendancy to back off and then the gear becomes loose. Tightened up the nut and used a bit of locktite, started the car and everything was perfect.

I have seen this problem a few times, but this is the first time on a W. Sometimes the gears get damaged and have to be replaced, pretty cheap too, like less than 20 bucks.

Ok, so I was shopping for my 95 Cutlass Convertible and while test driving, the same thing happened. They agreed to fix and the shop said they had to replace the whole M/C assembly. Said that was the only way to get it? Maybe the gears were messed up, but that is what they said happened. I did see the old part at the shop where it was actually replaced. As for scan tool, what do you use on your 95. I have not seen one..just the "short to ground" cheapies that don't work on 95 hybrid OBD plugs. Thanks.

Thomas