Odometer Fraud

DaveFromColorado

so yeah, I got my 92 Z34, happy as hell with it, when much to my suprise when it rolls from "081999" over to "192000" someone was in my odometer, and there's only two records on my car, and no fraud detected. I'm the "second" owner on the title, but the guy I bought the car from only had it for a few days, now I'm seriously upset, if I had known that car had more then 100,000 miles on it, I'd have never driven 800 miles round trip to pick it up, man I'm mad!!!

any ideas on what I should do?

--Dave.

Well don't you need to have a record of the millege when you buy it and safety it? There has to be someway you can prove that the odometer has been rolled back. Like saying it is impossible to put 100,000 miles in that short amount of time?? Just a guess and a shot in the dark... That REALLY SUCKS THO! :cry: :cry:

yeah, in the 5 days I've owned the car, I highly doubt I could have put 110,000 miles on it, I'm thinking I'm going to call the guy who sold me the car, and bust his ass on it, and demand some of my money back.

I've got witnesses who saw the odometer tuesday evening showing it was only at 081,498 and then on wednesday morning seeing that it was at 192,004

Milage besides I think the guy lied about a lot of other things about this car, altho the ABS is NICE, discovered that tonight in the rain when some moron decided to slam on his brakes while going 70 mph on the highway so he wouldn't miss his exit, which he ended up missing anyhow.

--Dave.

alright i have some experience with GM odometers. there should be silver lines in between all the numbers now? were those there before? those indicate fraud, however if the gauge cluster went bad at one point and someone who didn't know that they were doing tryed to set the numbers to the correct miles on the new cluster this will happen. the car may not have 192k on the clock. its that when gm odometers are messed with they tend to bring up random crap. if i were you take lots of pictures, pull apart the gauge cluster and check out the odometer. there should be black clips inbetween all the numbers, they hold the numbers in place and prevent them from moveing like what you are experienceing. i would find the last owner, he has some explaining to do either way.

Here is whatI would do. Take your pictures, and witness to the Police, Odometer fraud is a seriuos crime.. Get a poloice report. If the police do't bust the gy's azz, then you have the option of taking it to claims court. WHICH I WOULD Do. But to not Tamper with the CAR!!! Don't touch it Or the guy could say you did it!!!! .. See what your legal recourse is first!!!

I'd check Carfax records on it as well.

Might also have a dealership pull up their service records.

It's more likely odometer fraud, but since it's a mechanical part, it's possible it's just an odometer failure.

i'd wager that it is odometer fraud as well. anyone stupid enough to do it would probably not take the time to do it "right". GM odometers are quite difficut to set back. and when idiots turn them back the silver lines end up showing and strange numbers come up.

GM odometers are quite difficut to set back. and when idiots turn them back the silver lines end up showing and strange numbers come up.

Not the one in my TGP!!! I set the mileage on my spare cluster from 168,000 to 56,000 and it was super easy without any hint of tampering.

well i don't have a picture right now. i can take one when i get home off one of my spare gauge clusters. essentaly the silver lines appear in the little area between the numbers. going from the normal black to silver. i should have a pic up later on tonight.

oops i should refresh the page before i reply. if done correctly it is impossable to tell. i had to do this on my ciera. when i got my new gauge cluster. all i did was move the complete numbers unit from one cluster to the other (132k to 66k). works flawless and no anit-fraud lines. i have a very low tollerance for odometer fraud, i cannot stand those low lifes.

Guest TurboSedan

i wish there was some way to set the digital clusters. when i did my cluster swap i installed one that had about 20,000 more miles than what my car actually has :?

joshua

The "silver lines" will show up in between each piece of plastic with the numbers on them. Normally the space in between the rollers just looks black, if its been messed with it will appear silvery in color.