Strut life averages

Karps TA

Hey guys.

How long do the front a dn rear struts in your cars last? I've got a 93 Grand Prix Special edition with the 3.1. I've had it since 98, put close to 100,000 miles on it since then. I have replace the rear struts 4 times, and desperatly need to replace them again. The fronts have been done 3 times.

Are the cars just notorious for being hard on suspensions? I don't drive on that terrible of roads, I can't say I drive the car that hard either. But it seems ridiculous to have to replace them so often.

Is there anthing with the suspension I should look for that will make the struts weak faster?

Lastly since I'm going to get stuck replacing the rears in the very very near future any suggestion on a brand that seems to hold up well. I don't plan on keeping the car forever but I'd like to atleast get another year out of it.

Thanks guys.

I've had several brands. Twice were Monroes, not sure what the other ones were. I just had whatever local garage replace them. These last ones are brite orange. So who knows, but they only lasted 9 months. And because I'm a dumass I chucked the reciept and even if that had a warranty on them, the shop won't honor it without the reciept, of course.

And yes I do still have my TA. I don't think I'll ever be getting rid of that. lol Thanks for the compliment.

I'll have to look into pricing on the KYB's

The KYB GR2 are nicely priced. I have them on all four corners of my GP. I've had them for about 2 years now with no problems. The GR2's are equal to the Monroe Reflex struts in performance, but a lot cheaper.

my car has the mcpherson struts still on it, one has went bad about 2 months ago, front still seem fine car has close to 240000 mils on it now...Regalized

Machpherson is a type of strut design not a brand. It just means that you've got coil overs and A arms in the front. I don't recall exactly what they call the rear setup on this car, but I think its some type of trailing link design with a rear monoleaf. By all means, correct me if I'm wrong.

well ok sorry i was wrong on that i will clear it up now, i have the original struts on my car, macpherson designed lol, sorry i thought that was a brand name, i learn something new everyday...Regalized