Waterpump removal on a 3.1

Bizzo

Hey everybody, my waterpump went on my 1991 Lumina yesterday. I don't have a chilton or a haynes manual so I was wondering if somebody could give me a breakdown on how to remove it. I don't have much time to play around with it and figure it out myself because I need the car back to normal ASAP. any and all help appreciated.

Removal is easy.

Remove belt by using ratchet in square hole of idler.

Remove 4 bolts from pulley.

Remove bolts holding water pump in timing cover.

That's it!

Hard part is removing/installing the 4 bolts, the pulley wants to spin so you'll need to rig up a way to keep the pulley still.

Hard part is removing/installing the 4 bolts, the pulley wants to spin so you'll need to rig up a way to keep the pulley still.

Any of the many flavors of the Craftsman Strap Wrench works like a champ.

Guest TurboSedan

Harbor Freight Tools also sells a cheap set of spanner wrenches that work nicely.

joshua

i replaced a water pump on a 94 lumina 3 days ago and the damn bolts were on the pulley so tight i broke yet another craftsman socket, i had to remove one bolt and stick a screwdriver in the hole to get the rest of them out without the pulley spinning on me, i guess the poor mans way lol...Regalized

Yeah it was a pretty easy part to change. The pulley bolts were a bit difficult but once I broke the first one the rest weren't bad. Of course I broke the bleeder nut if half trying to bleed the air from the system. The bolt twisted in half like it was butter. :evil:

Guest TurboSedan
Yeah it was a pretty easy part to change. The pulley bolts were a bit difficult but once I broke the first one the rest weren't bad. Of course I broke the bleeder nut if half trying to bleed the air from the system. The bolt twisted in half like it was butter. :evil:

ha same thing happened to me. thankfully it doesn't leak. i've been meaning to replace it but there is still a bleeder screw above the thermostat that i can use. i've noticed some W-bodies have 2, and some only have 1.

joshua