Need to soften leather

joey b

the passenger and back seat of my car are a lil hard from baking in the sun and the lazy previous owner. Anyone know of a product to use to soften leather? I just bought some $9 a bottle stuff called "luxor" cause it specifically said "softens leather" Any ideas on how to make it work?

Sorry man your pretty much screwed. There's not a whole lot you can do once your seats become dry and hard from sun damage other than replace them. You might try buying some lexol cleaner and the seperate conditioner, those seem to help slightly, but they aren't a cure all by any means. Try leaving a fine mist of conditioner on the seats for an extended period of time covered with a layer of sawran wrap and out of the sunlight. Then give it ample time to soak in before spraying it down again and wiping it off.

I'd just find a leather repair shop and get some mink oil. Its expensive, but it brings leather back years at a time, although you'll never get it brand factory new. However, its very worth it. Although, anybody with leather will tell you that constant and consistant use of mink oil is needed to keep the leather soft and in good condition.

yeah, what I bough was the lexol, didn't know the name for sure.

I used mink oil last summer and fall till it was too cold out to be worth anything and it didn't help much. I did notice today though that after 2 days the leather did soften up a bit.

Anybody tried that Meguire's Leather Conditioner yet? My seats aren't terrible, but they could use a conditioning. Would you guys recommend the lexol over all other products (besides mink oil)? Or is the Meguire's worth a try too?

Lexol seems to work the best out of any spray on stuff. Its a tad pricey, but it works well. Stay away from anything marked as a cleaner/conditioner, those don't work so hot. When I tried Meguir's before it didn't seem to work as well as Lexol.

Leatherique Leather Rejuvenator Oil claims to be able to restore leather. Their product benefit claims are below.

http://leatherique.com/prod01.htm or

http://leatherique.com

REJUVENATOR OIL - For 30 years has been used by museums, collectors, decorators, and auto enthusiasts all over the world to maintain valuable leather. It is Known world wide for its ability to soften and restore even cardboard hard leather back to useful condition. A complex blend of proteins and Collagens, with absolutely no oil fillers of any kind. Totally unlike all other leather products. Will not stain or discolor leather. Perfectly safe even for equestrian use! Simply massage generously into the leather with your hands, brush, sponge, or spray bottle, and let it be absorbed into the fibers. Its’ unique capillary action forces proteins into the leather and dirt out! Leather will be glove-soft, luxuriously supple, and strong! Prevents cracking, drying, and tearing.

Key Benefits

Contains No harmful, useless Petroleum Products!!!

Contains No Silicone or WAX

NON FLAMMABLE, NON TOXIC, safe for equestrian use!