Tree Sap on car

joey b

I looked for an appearance section, and happily, there isn't one cause nobody ever looks at those on forums.

Anyway, I got tree sap on my car and it doesn't want to come off. I can use my fingernail and chip it off but it is a pain and I'm worried about damage to the paint. Whatcha think.

On another note I washed my car yesterday cause it was a balmy 55 degrees and after I finished washing it I was kicking myself cause it looked like shit after barely being washed or waxed all winter long. :oops: It looked like crap :evil: Then I waxed it and voila, there's that shine I was looking for :D . Looks sweet. I snapped some pics, but later I found the lens was greased up so I'll have to take some new ones.

yeah, what wax, prob still doesnt look that good with just wax.

Many people here have asked for an appearance section, and I have said that I would be more than happy to moderate it, im an avid detailer, and run a small buisness on the side detailing to make extra money.

As far as removing wax, go to walmart and buy a Clay Bar. They have one for $10, from a company called Clay Magic. Also, Mothers makes one, available at Pepboys or advance auto parts.

Yes, you will damage the paint by chipping it of with your fingers.

I use the pasty turtle wax, not the carnuba kind though. No, believe me it looked damn good. I was looking at my reflection in it much like you and that picture you took. That was with just a wash and wax. As for the appearance section, I'll pass.

hell, a new car with TURTLE WAX would still never look good. In all honesty, thats the cheapest and biggest waste of money available. If anything, just get some Meguairs gold class or something. Ive got bottles of Gold Class and the 3 step, that ill never use again. I am pro.

Claybars dont remove oxi either. really only wetsanding and polish. Wetsanding personally on a clear coated car scares me quite a bit, seems way to harsh or needed.

Ive felt some older w's and their bad pant, and i bet you sometimes they are ruffer than sandpaper. Use some polish, wash, then clay bar, to remove contaimanants.

Heck, i didnt even know turtle wax made a carnuba. Still would be crap.

Thanks for the comment on the pic i took. Remember...my car is metailc too...its damn hard to get a good pic of it. ive got some better ones arround, that show even more shine.

jon

• 1 month later...

oh my, dont mean to be rude, but that sounds like murder. WD-40s kinda oily, and i would think hurt the paint. TO get rid of sap, clay bar's are the best thing, thats one of the major uses for them

jon

Actually WD-40 is very mild stuff when it comes to painted parts. It's a lubricant, not a solvent per se. I have used it to take off tree sap many times with no ill effects.

oh, well...id never put it on my car, personal preference. Ive never heard of that tip. I have heard of keroseene cleaning older cars though.

Also, another idea is one of the many available Quick Detailers, Megs is my prefered. Really cheap, and i carry a bottle of it, and a 5 pack of walmart microfibers in the car to remove bird crap. If you dont feel like washing to get the treesap off, use a quick detail, if light in a small area.

if not, just wash often, and make sure you clay right before any other paint work.

jon

3m makes a adhesive remover in a small tin can with a pop top, it is the best shit out there, it will strip the wax but thats it. After this winter your gonna need a wax anyway. Jay

jay, that stuff you are talking about is great. Id recomend using it on the front and rear panels to remove bugs and tar right before claying.

we had a BIG sap problem at my GFs house in the boonies on her truck last year. WIth weekly washings, we were fine, and it didnt build up to bad.

I have heard of kerosene also but would never use it on my car's finish.

One more tip, WD-40 is great at removing road tar. Spray on - wipe off. I think it's easier on the finish then some of the auto tar removers. Cheap too.

i used a claybar ast weekend, and shit, it fucking ruled. my paint is baby smooth, and it got rid of over last dirt spec on my car. doesn't work for anything except making the paint baby smooth. for wax, i only use mother, or Meguairs glass wax. but seeing i got new paint last summer, its not hard to make it shine :D