well, its finally over...

phantomFE3

the tranny in the phantom went out today. shes good if you barely push on the gas, up to 15 mph, then after that its all revvs and no acceleration. and even worse news... the next car im getting is a grand am... :cry:

im probably gonna make a couple JY runs in the near future (theres a JY in town that has a turbo GA that i can maybe get the turbo setup off for my GA for cheap) and ill see if they have an 5 speeds, and ill call the other JY's in town, if i can get one for cheap i can maybe persuade my dad into helping me put the 5 spd into it and maybe turbo it or just sell it

i third that query! i dont know! lol, im guessing its a 94 or a 95, im goin over to look at it tomorrow (its my neighbors) and ill ask him about it. it coupld possibly be a manual :D but i doubt it, i can only hope

if its the 2.3 sohc or whatever....its slow as piss, my dad tried to get me to buy one that had a new motor in it. This was when i had my 89 GA with the duke, and the duke was faster than whatever motor was in the new GA. It wasnt the quad4, but it was a 2.3 or something. Needless to say, i wanted to buy a fast car, so i did not buy that thing.

Guest TurboSedan

a 190 HP Quad-4 would be the rare HO W-41 motor, i don't think any Grand Am's came with that, only the Olds Calais and the Achieva i think. the 180 HP Quad-4 is the regular HO Quad-4. if it has that engine then it should also have a 5-speed. more than likely it's just the regular DOHC LO Quad-4....160 HP i think?

joshua

I'm surprised my Prix's transmission hasn't died yet. I haven't driven it since mid-February, but when it was being driven, it was driven quite frequently on 1/2 or less capacity tranny fluid, and it held out quite well a lot of the time, just had to refill and top off and it ran like a top again.

You should just replace the tranny (with a 5pseed if at all possible of course).

Don't get a Grand Am, my buddy has a 95 V6 Grand Am and man what a shitty quality car. He does nothing but regret buying it.

dave, you can't just junk a car as rare as a phantom ! either find a TH-440 or a HM-282 !!! don't kill an easily svable car, you'd still save too, new tranny is like 450, new car is 2000, or more... if not depending on price, i want the phantom.

the grand am is only gonna be a few hundred bucks. my neighbors daughter got married, so my neighbor gave her daughter her van, and took the grand am in exchange, and bought a brand new van. so the grand am is just taking up space in their yard. its in really good condition because their family is religious with their cars. the mom got mad at her one time for waiting to change her oil like 200 miles past 3000 on the oil change, i guess they had a huge arguement over it and the mom thinks its a piece of junk now :roll: go figure..

if you want the phantom, you can come up and get it, im sure we'll let it go for like 600 bucks or something, considering all the work ive done to it, the engine runs fine as hell, nothing wrong with that.

a 190 HP Quad-4 would be the rare HO W-41 motor, i don't think any Grand Am's came with that, only the Olds Calais and the Achieva i think. the 180 HP Quad-4 is the regular HO Quad-4. if it has that engine then it should also have a 5-speed. more than likely it's just the regular DOHC LO Quad-4....160 HP i think?

joshua

correct, by 93 all quad 4's made 5 less hp

Good news, I have a spare 4t60 with 107k miles on it. $100 and its yours. Im in mass, so if u wanted 2 drive the grand am out here, ill toss it in the truck and send ya on ya way. i changed the fluid every 2000-3000 miles and used lucas every time, shifted very firm and I had a front mount tranny cooler installed. Tranny fluid temp never got over 180 degrees while I owned the car. PM me if ya interested.

-Jeff

the tranny in the phantom went out today. shes good if you barely push on the gas, up to 15 mph, then after that its all revvs and no acceleration. and even worse news... the next car im getting is a grand am... :cry:

don't bitch you should be happy you are getting another car

sorry to hear that.

had this happened not long ago i would have taken ya up on the offer to buy.

and swapped something to get a running vehicle.

instead i buy a GP for the time being.

Monty

well i came home from work today and there was a grand am sitting in the driveway :D cant wait till tomorrow to get it out, wash it and take 'er for a spin

oh yah and pics will be up soon