3.4 exhaust question

5speedz34

Ok, so recently I got new exhaust. It consist's of 2.5 piping, Hi-flow cat, Glasspack, and Stainless Magnaflow Straight thrus. Well the thing is when I rev it up high (4K+) it wants to pop alot when it comes back down. So I went to Midas and the guy there just gave me a resonator to put in place of theglasspack that's on there, so here's the question do you think that the resonator will stop it from popping and what will it do to the sound of the exhaust?

-Tony

What kind of popping? Misfiring?

If its only a bit of misfire on decel, thats normal, that why you pay to have an exhuast put on. If its a lot of misfiring you'll want to check the plugs, wires, etc...

The resonator will kill some of the popping, but its main funtion is to remove the raspiness of the exhaust, it will also make things a tad quieter.

My exhaust doesnt pop at all

2.5" Carsound Cat

2.5" piping

2.5" Magnaflow 18" muffler

2.5" Magnaflow Mufflers

2.25" Ypipe

3" Slant cut tips

You've got 3" tips? Hows that look? I would assume there's only 1 pipe per side right?

Ya they are 3" tips, i had the exhaust shop make them fit. There is only on tip on each side, I like the look of the tips, but when looking at the rear of the car you can see too much muffler and I dont think i like that. I would rather have dual 3" tips on both sides to fill the cutout on the bumper and hide the muffler a little better. Either that, have the mufflers placed a little farther back, and have the tips stick out alot more. I am kinda pissed though, I did only pay $18+ shipping for the tips, but the passenger side one has a small spot of rust on it :dammit: while the driver side tip looks great. There should be a pic of it on my cardomain site in my sig, or else its on my www button.

Topless what style Magnaflow mufflers did you end up getting? Mine aren't like those. It looks like your's have a pressed lip or a visible weld on the end caps of the mufflers.

Mine have end caps with rounded corners so they are actually welded onto the case of the muffler where you cant really see it from the rear.

Just like this one:

magnaflow-2.5inchmuffler.jpg

I went cheap and bought the magnaflow XL stainless mufflers. They only have a one year warrenty compared to the lifetime of the others. I also notice that my car is starting to smell like rotten eggs, and the cat is brand new. Carsound cat, what is that about? Anyone had this problem?

Any brand new cat will have that smell to some extent, just as long as it's not very strong there's nothing to worry about. The smell will disappear more over time.

You should notice the smell more after some hard driving..

My exhaust doesnt pop at all

2.5" Carsound Cat

2.5" piping

2.5" Magnaflow 18" muffler

2.5" Magnaflow Mufflers

2.25" Ypipe

3" Slant cut tips

You've got 3" tips? Hows that look? I would assume there's only 1 pipe per side right?

436966_14_full.jpg

This is my 3" tips on some flowmaster 40s. IMO they stick out to far and will drag when pulling onto a steep incline(city)