Car cleaning tips

topless94style

What is the best way to polish wax the car? I am cleaning the car today, and would like to know which to apply first.

Should i go cruising with the top down today?? It is 60* so maybe i will.

What cleans the rims best?? I have simple green and that seems to work well on other areas on the car.

What grain sandpaper should I use for wet sanding scratches and my new fender?

Like someone said in an earlier post (sorry can remember who) make sure you clean the inside of the wheel wells. Because if that car and wheels look great but then you can see the nasty dirt and mud in the wells, it looks bad!

In my experience, I wash the car then polish the car then finally wax the car, if you wax then polish, the polish takes the wax off therefore defeating the purpose of waxing the car in the first place.

Just my 2 cents...Regalized

Another tip on the wheels.

Looks like you've got the fivestars like I do, so just clean them up real good with soapy water and a sponge/brush first. Then when you get them clean to your liking give them a couple coats of wax, preferably a synthetic or polymer wax, as opposed to a carnauba, of some sort since they seem to hold up to the heat of breaking better. It only takes a couple extra minutes to wax them and you'll never have to scrub your wheels again to get that crappy break dust off.

yes, what canadian badass said. i will emphisise the fact to use a BUFFER and not a GRINDER. they look almost identical, except the BUFFER has a variable speed control on it. a grinder is set to run about 8-9k rpm. a buffer runs to a max of 3k rpm. if you use a GRINDER it will iBURN! the paint.

also, this is a VERY time consuming project. plan out a WHOLE weekend, rather then do a rush job in just one day. you want the best results, i'm sure. Just be carefull on athe edges. don't cut any corners on this, or you will regret it after your done.

• 4 weeks later...
Another tip on the wheels.

Looks like you've got the fivestars like I do, so just clean them up real good with soapy water and a sponge/brush first. Then when you get them clean to your liking give them a couple coats of wax, preferably a synthetic or polymer wax, as opposed to a carnauba, of some sort since they seem to hold up to the heat of breaking better. It only takes a couple extra minutes to wax them and you'll never have to scrub your wheels again to get that crappy break dust off.

I'm gonna have to do that sometime. Will it work on chrome too?

hah! someone beat me to mentioning it! (autopia.org).

I really dont know why many of yall wetsand. Dont do it. Clay the car, the polish, then wax. Wetsanding is a prep thing...and not very nesc. Its taking to much off the paint (unless you do this stuff ever 5 years).

go to autopia.org, read up all night, go buy products, and do the car tommrow.

jon